Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has finally started allowing developers to issue free promotional copies of their iPhone applications. Once an application has been accepted to the App Store by Apple, developers can issue up to 50 promotional codes for their application. The codes allow the recipient to download a full copy of the application for free. Codes can only be presently used in the U.S. iTunes Stores by using the "Redeem" link in the App Store.

175833-thank_425.png

As an example, Smudge Apps sent us a promotional copy of Jam: Vol 1 [App Store]. Codes can be issued for existing applications and the 50 code limit is reset for each new version of an application.

In the past, it has been difficult for developers to provide review or promotional copies, instead having to reply on Ad-hoc distributions.

Article Link: Developers Can Now Issue Free "Promotional" Copies of iPhone Apps

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
This is great, but I still think that there needs to be a way to make demo versions of applications. There are plenty of the more expensive apps that I would consider if I was able to try them beforehand. I'm not willing to drop $10-$20 on something that might be a buggy joke.

P-Worm

TJunkers

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
That's awesome new!

Now, anyone who wants me to test there app and give them an honest opinion I am open for promo codes :p

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
This is great, but I still think that there needs to be a way to make demo versions of applications. There are plenty of the more expensive apps that I would consider if I was able to try them beforehand. I'm not willing to drop $10-$20 on something that might be a buggy joke.

P-Worm

The ability to get a live try/demo out of the app in iTunes would be cool - use the iPhone simulator within iTunes to try out stuff and see if you like.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Urgh, why does the US get all the good stuff first? What about all us poor UK sods?

Majority of review sites (best ones) are based in the States.

I can't imagine if anyone would care about a wee Scot's opinion on a game!

jasonbrennan

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2006
Majority of review sites (best ones) are based in the States.

I can't imagine if anyone would care about a wee Scot's opinion on a game!
Xenophobe. Believe it or not, Americans are not the only people whose opinions matter.

Reviews are relative to their respective region (Canadian reviews show in Canadian iTunes).

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Xenophobe. Believe it or not, Americans are not the only people whose opinions matter.

Reviews are relative to their respective region (Canadian reviews show in Canadian iTunes).

I said the sites are based in America. Didn't say the reviewers were all American ;)

rockosmodurnlif

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2007
New York, NY
Complaint: Increase 50 to 100.

Praise: Maybe this will result in a removal of all those cluttersome "lite" apps.

Question: Do these full versions ever expire?

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
Complaint: Increase 50 to 100.

Praise: Maybe this will result in a removal of all those cluttersome "lite" apps.

Question: Do these full versions ever expire?

it seems to me you may be missing the point of all this...

why would offering developers the opportunity to distribute 50 promo codes alleviate the need for "lite" apps?

bridgeyman

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2008
YES! I have been waiting for this for a while now. I was hoping for unlimited codes, but I guess if the 50 is reset for each version then that is okay.

jacobweber

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2003
God, does every Apple policy regarding the iPhone have to be so heavy-handed? Why 50? Why is this limitation necessary? Why can't they just let developers make the decisions for themselves?

Zincous

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
Sacramento CA
And how big does an update have to be? Couldn't a developer "update" their app to 1.0.1 basically and just say its a "bug fix", but not really change anything and now they get 50 more? For essentially the same app.

bindle

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2008
Great news. We've already updated our app description/site to allow reviewers to request promo codes. Ad hoc was such a pain.

jasonbrennan

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2006
And how big does an update have to be? Couldn't a developer "update" their app to 1.0.1 basically and just say its a "bug fix", but not really change anything and now they get 50 more? For essentially the same app.

The update still has to be reviewed by Apple. I'm sure you could sneak it by a few times, but eventually they would probably catch on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.