Developers getting help with or replacement icons for apps submitted, to/from Apple?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by razorianfly, Jul 15, 2008.

1. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I've just been browsing through the app store and looking at the first thing that hits you when buying an app through the App Store.

The Icon.

Some of them, the icon quality matches the app's overall quality. Others though, the icon looks stellar,
    and then you view the screenshots of the actual app, the UI design doesn't reflect the quality or design of the app's icon.

I personally look at two factors when buying an app:

1. The app's icon
    2. The productivity of the app

This is the iPhone. A style symbol. I don't know about you, but if the icon doesn't cut it, it doesn't get a look in.

I think personally think some developers have submitted icons with their app submission,
    and Apple has suggested or come up with a replacement.

// Any thoughts?

2. Greencardman macrumors 6502

I know some programmers are outsourcing icon design, which could explain the disparity between the icons and the application's interface.

3. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

I noticed that with one of the air hockey games. I would have bought it if the game graphics were a little more polished. The icon was awesome though.

4. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I know for web app icons, the phone itself automatically adds the rounded corners, drop shadow, and reflective shine. So I'm sure at least THAT much help comes automatically for app developers too.

I notice in the app store itself, some apps have tried to add the shine and corners themselves, while others (like AIM and Apple's on Remote) are just flat squares--the same way you make an icon for a web app. But on the phone they all look like real iPhone buttons.

I don't have one yet to test though :eek:

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

Apple is not helping anyone with their icons.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It seems like 80% of the AppStore is junky icons. If the icon doesn't look good... I don't buy the App... I don't want a beautiful home screen with an eye sore on it. I wish iTunes let you customize the icon just like changing Album artwork. You could just give the App a new icon and re-sync it to your phone.... but they didn't design it that way... too bad though. Some of these Apps might be used if they had better looking icons.