Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the fourth betas of iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 that were released to developers today, Apple has provided an ActivityKit beta, which will let app developers start creating apps that are able to take advantage of the Live Activities feature introduced in iOS 16.

ios-16-live-activities-feature.jpg

Announced at WWDC, Live Activities are interactive notifications that stay up to date, allowing you to keep an eye on things happening in real time right from the Lock Screen. If you're following a sports game, for example, you can see the updated score on the Lock Screen, or if you're waiting for a Uber ride, you can watch for your driver to approach.
With the ActivityKit framework, you can start a Live Activity to share live updates from your app on the Lock Screen. For example, a sports app might allow the user to start a Live Activity for a live sports game. The Live Activity appears on the Lock Screen for the duration of the game and offers the latest updates about the game at a glance.
Developers can use ActivityKit to configure, start, update, and end a Live Activity. Apple says an app's widget extension creates the user interface of the Live Activity, but Live Activities are not widgets and ultimately use a different mechanism to receive updates.

On Apple's iOS 16 Preview page, Live Activities is listed as a feature that are not going to be available when iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 launch, but Apple is allowing developers to get a head start on adding the experiences into their apps. Apple says that Live Activities will come in an update to iOS 16 set to debut later in the year.

Developers will not be able to submit apps that support Live Activities until the feature launches in the future.

Update: In the sixth beta of iOS 16, Apple has disabled some Live Activity functionality, rendering TestFlight apps that include the feature unable to operate at the current time.

Article Link: Developers Now Able to Create Live Activities for iOS 16 Lock Screen With Launch of ActivityKit Beta [Updated]

Last edited:

maktaba

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
Live Activities is perhaps useful but will it be worth the battery drain?

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Oh great more gimmicky buggy notifications... Apple can't even modernize the crappy modal 20% and 10% low battery warnings that haven't been changed since 2007... Why can't they fix the existing junk before they add more junk??
We are talking about battery notifications? Battery notifications?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Oh great more gimmicky buggy notifications... Apple can't even modernize the crappy modal 20% and 10% low battery warnings that haven't been changed since 2007... Why can't they fix the existing junk before they add more junk??
Sounds like it could be a cool feature. A preexisting bug should not cause this particular feature not to make into feature set at or around release.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Can't wait to see what devs come up with for this. Apple can release a cool feature, but without developers taking advantage of it, it's worthless.

mthomas184

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2016
Cupertino
This could be a very cool feature. I hope companies take advantage of this. I was exited about app clips when that was announced, and since then I came across 1(one)... Perhaps it's just my experience.
I see them at gas stations and restaurants mostly.

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
Is anyone able to tell the "maximum lifespan" for one of these? If it can support live sports, then we know it can last at least 4-5 hours. Can it go 10+ hours? Over a day?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.