Developers: Please use Google Maps

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by opticalserenity, Jul 23, 2008.

1. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

Please stick to google maps in your apps. I really dislike Microsoft virtual earth, yahoo maps, etc.

Surely I'm not alone in this.

Also, apps like Whrrl, Loopt, Nearby, MyWeather, would be so much better with Google Maps.

The less I have to look at anything that says Microsoft on my APPLE iPhone the happier I am.

2. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

I agree. Maybe there's a reason they're not doing it... Apple is being really strict in allowing which apps to be sold, and they might have a rule stating no messing with google maps... Not exactly sure, I was just throwing that idea out there.

3. ayasin macrumors 6502

I wanted to use Google maps in my app but I couldn't for licensing reasons. Basically you can't use Google maps in non web apps period based on my reading of their terms. I'm now considering providing a button for them to click and jump to the maps app but the obvious downside of that is they now have to exit Google maps and re-enter my app to continue using it. For me the map isn't essential, it's just a niceness so I managed a workaround.

4. ayasin macrumors 6502

5. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

Well, they probably aren't just keeping you from using it for the sake of using it. Maybe the iPhone software doesn't have the right hooks to do lots of custom stuff with Google Maps. Future SDK and firmware update??

6. opticalserenity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hrmm, odd. As integrated as google maps is into the platform you'd think they would have made that the map to use. Ah well. Maybe apple / google will see this thread. :) fwd'd.

7. ayasin macrumors 6502

I'm not sure you understood the link. No non-web app AT ALL can use Google maps API. That means desktop apps, phone apps, whatever. Not sure about the reasons for this.

8. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

Apple and Google will eventually come to their senses... it's just a matter of time.

Justin

p.s. I have the feeling this thread will go on for quite a while. lol :p