Developers versions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wayland1985, Dec 24, 2008.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

Will Developers versions of Windows Vista work with Bootcamp? Or do I need to splurge and buy the $$$ versions???

Also, if I reformat my hardrive on my Computer, will I need to repurchase the Vista? Or will the oringinal copy work since I am only using 1 machine???

2. Cory5412 macrumors member

The developer versions should work just fine if you burn them to a CD with disk utility or your favorite windows cd burning app. They're the same disks as the retail versions, just that the serial number is for business edition or enterprise edition, if I remember correctly.

Also, licensing is the same as on a physical PC, so if you'd need to re-buy the version or get a new serial number if you were to reformat a PC, it'll apply the same way for installing a Mac.

I reinstall my Windows system once a year maybe and I haven't had issues re-using my serial number, so you should be fine, unless you reformat a lot, like more than once a month.

3. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why would you need to burn it???

4. Cory5412 macrumors member

Are you talking about the downloads from MSDN or is it already a physical disk?

If it's a physical disk you already have, then just pop it in and install.

If it was a download, you need to burn the downloaded copy of windows to a cd or dvd to boot the computer with it, or do you intend to use them only inside vmware/parallels (In which case you can tell parallels or vmware to use the .iso file as a virtual cd/dvd drive and boot the virtual machine that way.)

5. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116493

That's what I'm looking to buy....

6. Cory5412 macrumors member

Oh, the OEM version -- different deal from their developer program.

To my knowledge the OEM disk should work just fine, they're not very different from the retail (or developer/MSDN) disks.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That's a system builder (OEM) version, which is different from a developer (MSDN) version.

OEM: Can be installed on one computer.
    Retail: Can be installed on one computer at a time but can be transferred.
    MSDN: Can be installed on either ten or an unlimited number of computers, depending on the product.

All three work in Boot Camp.

8. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry... I guess I got my terminology all mixed up.... So it should work fine??? Think there'll be issues reformatting with this one?

9. Cory5412 macrumors member

10. 7even macrumors 6502a

All Vista discs are exactly the same, the only difference is that different versions have different CD keys, which unlock different feature sets. That one will work fine :)