Developing a popular internet game iphone!!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by renok, Jan 17, 2009.

1. renok macrumors newbie

Hello, i wont wont say the name of the game but i have started designing a port for a popular internet flash game and it will be made for the iphone and ipod touch.

The only problem is that the developers email is nowhere to be found so i cant contact and ask for permission.

Is it illegal to port his free online game without his permission?

I spent 3 hours looking for a way to contact him but i cannot find his email ANYWHERE and he hasnt logged onto the site he created the game on in over a year.

What do i do?:eek:

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes unless you get his permission i am pretty sure it is illegal

3. renok thread starter macrumors newbie

So.....how can i get permission?

If i dont charge for the game isit ok?

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

Im sure someone will let you knwo about it being legal or not.. but I am pretty sure it is still illegal.. I m not sure tho... i gues sif all credits are given to the original developper it wouldn t be? just a guess tho...

5. STOCK411 macrumors member

pm me your im.... i can help better from there...
    if you tell us what game it is we can help find the contact... (trust me its somewhere on the interwebz)

6. renok thread starter macrumors newbie

I cant PM yet (i dont think)

gochargers1993@yahoo.com is my email. Email me and ill talk to you.:D

7. Zincous macrumors 6502

Well isn't it if you just change the name of the game to something similar and change the graphics to your own, just using the game idea, that's not illegal.

But if you want it to be exactly the same, then yes it is illegal

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

It is highly unlikely that the developer of an online Flash game would register their gameplay mechanics as designs or patents. I'm sure you'll come to no harm if you make significant changes to the game, such as using your own artwork, name and suchlike.

9. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure if you try your best and can't find any contact information, patents or copyrights, you can go ahead and use it.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Apparently, there's a registration in the works to make it legal to use copyrighted material in case the rights owner cannot be found.
    http://www.copyright.gov/orphan/

However, it appears this registration didn't pass (yet). Google "orphan copyright" for more details.