Developing apps for the App Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PowerFullMac, Mar 10, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Do I need to registor on ADC (and pay) to make apps for the App Store, or can I just write apps and submit them to Apple?

2. robhedin macrumors regular

3. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

what about free apps I thought they said that there was no charge for free ones

4. NightStorm macrumors 68000

No charge other than the $99 to get the developer certificate.

5. robhedin macrumors regular

Right-- you have to buy the signing certificate for $99 (actually appears to be apply and pay on acceptance), then you can choose what price to sell your apps for-- Apple takes 30% of whatever price you set, so if the price is free, you get nothing and Apple gets nothing (other than the fee for your cert).

rob.

6. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

When sj introduced it he said there is no fee for free apps. But from what you say then it is no different in terms of "fees" for free or priced apps. Unless they consider their share of sales a "fee"

7. robhedin macrumors regular

Right--- but if you watch the event, the fees they are referring to are the 30% cut that Apple takes. Then they go on to talk about what it takes to sign up to be able to develop, which is where the $99 comes in. Note that this charge isn't a "fee" per se, but basically you're purchasing a certificate so that you can sign your code. The basic idea is to be able to identify exactly who is responsible for any given piece of code on the phone.

rob.

8. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

:( So I've been learning Objective-C for nothing then!

Then again, im in the UK so thats just £50... Maybe after I get my MacBook I will cough up some ca$h so I can make some apps...

9. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Well, learning Objective-C is still good. But, for now, because you're in the UK, you wouldn't be able to develop apps for the App Store anyway because at the moment it's US only.

10. elcid macrumors 6502

Look, you can create and develop them for free with the SDK. If you have something worth while, then pay the 99 and throw it up there. I am not going to pay until I see that I have something worth putting up there.

11. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I was still hoping to make apps in June... Or will it only be released in the US in June?

Damn Apple! :(

12. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

You need to resistor to get the SDK.

13. elcid macrumors 6502

You can download the SDK for free. Thats what I did. I get the little iPhone simulator and everything. I cannot debug on an iPhone but until I really get a good app the free SDK is fine.

14. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Oh. Where does it say US only?

P.S. I was able to download the SDK and I am registered UK.

15. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

How do you get the SDK without registering then?

16. robhedin macrumors regular

While it is true that one is supposed to register as an iPhone Developer to get access to the iPhone Developer Center which includes the SDK, this is NOT the same thing as applying to join the iPhone Developer Program.

First one registers to get access to the SDK. This is free, but I don't know if they limit this to only people in the US. If I were to make a guess I'd say that they would not limit it however.

Once one is a registered developer, one then applies to distribute applications. This is where the $99 or $299 fee comes in (depending on if you want the standard or enterprise level). At the moment, this IS limited to only US participants, although I'd be very surprised if this lasts too long. I'd expect it to be mainly due to legal jurisdictional reasons.

So, why not try to register for free, get the SDK for free and give the development a go!

rob.

17. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Thanks! Ill try that!

EDIT: Downloading it now, 2.10GB :eek:

18. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Yep, and it's a 5 GB install.

19. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yes but some of that overwrites previous xcode and other stuff so if you already have developer tops its not really 5 g

20. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

When the app store comes out and if I do pay, will I be able to subit apps as im only 13?

Also, do you think the charge is worth it? Will I get it back from app download profits?

21. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

I don't know if Apple has an age limit for developers, but I can't imagine they would. I would confirm that before you invest too much time, but what else are you gonna do when you're 13? :)

A one-time $99 charge is a pittance if you have a decent application idea. I'm pretty sure it's not per-application, either, but per-developer, so if you have another good app idea in the future you can list additional apps. I would spend some time writing it and making sure you can get it working before you pay the fee to list your software on the iTunes App Store, get things working well and go through some QA on it. You could make that fee back pretty quickly if it's good software, too. Say you charge even just $0.99 for your app--you'd only need less than 150 people to buy your app to turn a profit on the app fee.

22. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Im gonna be rich! Thanks for the help AGSHender!

I knew it was a one-off fee, and not per app, I was just wondering if there was a change of getting that back...

Im glad to hear that there probably is no age limit! Even if there is and I cant do it, learning Objective-C and making a app is still good practice!

Thanks once again!

EDIT: Also, does anyone know the price for joining in the UK? I can guess about £50 but I dont know the actual price... Thanks if you can help!

23. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

Well, don't get your hopes up about becoming rich quite yet, but keep up that attitude! You still have a long way to go, but take it one step at a time.

On the off-chance that there IS an age limit to listing applications, I'm sure you could work out an arrangement with someone who is old enough to submit your code under their name. A parent might not even request a share of your 70%. :)

24. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Yeah, well earning $99 pretty quickly = rich for me! I only get £25 ($50) a MONTH at the moment!!!

My mum seemed to like the idea, so im sure she wouldnt mind doing it.

Thanks for help once again!