General Developing for iOS 7 must suck

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by fraggot, Jul 1, 2013.

1. fraggot macrumors 6502

This is strictly from someone who's using iOS 7 and am not a developer(keep your comments about that to yourself, I personally don't care).

But I understand it is currently in beta simply so the Devs can develop their apps to work with it and what not. But given it's SOOOO insanely buggy, crashes all the time and whatever other strange things that happen. Developing for iOS 7 must suck at times, I'd be so insanely irritated that I couldn't even do so because everything was messing up or causing problems all the time with the device itself.

Are there any developers out there that have had these issues?

2. monaarts macrumors 65816

Right now the iOS 7 beta is better than some of the previous betas (such as iOS 6, 5, etc) that have been released in regards to bugs and stability.

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

We don't care about that. If springboard crashes - we see the logs and know whether it was a bug. Having an app ready for day 1, however, is the only reason for using it.

The only people who moan about iOS 7 are those who use it on their every day device (even if they don't care) ;)

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Considering this and that iOS 7 is a complete overhaul, Apple is on their game at this point.

5. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

I haven't had any real issues with stability when testing my apps. I did have to deal with a couple of visual/layout issues caused by changes in iOS 7, including:

• Views now take up the entire screen vertically, even if there is a navigation bar on top. This effectively moves everything up too far, so you have to specify different vertical offsets/positions for iOS 6 & 7.

• Standard buttons now have no background (used to be a white rounded rectangle) - they are just text. I think this is a mistake on Apple's part, because it's now more difficult for users to distinguish buttons from content. For my apps, I created a background image to use so my buttons still look like buttons.

• Tables now have a default left margin - which looks nice in most cases - but I can't figure out how to get rid of it for the one table I have that shouldn't have any margin. I'm hoping this is something that Apple is still tweaking and/or fixing.
    Other than visual stuff, things have been working reasonably well.

6. fraggot thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm just going to throw it out there, I bet a majority of you are using an iPhone 5? haha

I have a 4S and it's nothing but polished at all. Almost every stock app does not work, touch screen stops working at random times and that seems like that could cause some really big problems with trying to work on something.

7. monaarts macrumors 65816

I have an iPhone 4s

8. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

It's not that bad. Some of the API changes are annoying and whatnot. But the actual OS itself is perfectly fine to test on.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Not sure where you are getting this information from. I've been running iOS 7 on my main phone for over a week and it's stable enough to use as a daily driver.

10. batting1000 macrumors 604

Have you done a clean install or do you just update?

11. Holty123 macrumors 6502

Holty123

No complaints from me pretty good beta mostly test on the ios sim anyhow

12. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Considering they've been doing this since iOS 2.0+ I don't think it's that much of a hassle.

13. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

So you are not a developer posting about things you admit you don't understand but we aren't supposed to point that out....right.

iOS 7 is more than usable and stable enough on both iPhone and iPad to use for development.

14. gomoq13 macrumors 6502

gomoq13

I use iOS 7 beta as a daily driver on an iPhone 4 and 4s and an iPad 3. I only did a clean install on the 4s. Not much difference in performance and glitches, except there is a noticeable lag on the 4 and occasional random restart for the iPad 3. I'll do a clean install on the 4 and the iPad when I'm in the mood for it. Haha! I'm so used to iOS 7 already. It's hard to go back to iOS 6. Just love everything about it.

15. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

OP It's buggy and crashes because it's a beta. But having been around iOS betas as a Dev since iOS 3 I have to agree with the others, it's fine for development, and is more stable than some of the other Betas I've come across.

It's not for you.

16. fraggot thread starter macrumors 6502

I did for Beta 1 but not Beta 2, I used OTA for Beta 2.

17. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Do a clean install for Beta 2. trust us ;)

18. fraggot thread starter macrumors 6502

Why thank you, I appreciate it. I shall do so when I get a chance!

19. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

"Keep your comments to yourself, I personally don't care"

Ironic that - nor do we. Please carry on imagining being "insanely irritated" in isolation, thanks.

Anything else?

20. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

I am and I don't, and I am legit :)

In English: I am using it on my everyday device
    I don't complain about the crashes as I can deal with it
    It is a legit install. I have a developers account and I am playing with developing a program in my spare time.

21. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

"Developing for iOS 7 must suck"

Eating the ingredients for Steak and Chips, uncooked, must also "suck" :p