Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thethuthinang

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
I was looking for the steps to submit to the app store, but could only find Lion-specific steps. Does anyone know where I can find instructions for
Snow Leopard?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I was looking for the steps to submit to the app store, but could only find Lion-specific steps. Does anyone know where I can find instructions for
Snow Leopard?

I'm no Dev, but if you are looking to compile Apps for a version of OSX that will very soon be 2 re-writes out of date (with the introduction of ML shortly) I'm curious to know why you want to?

Lion makes sense, but SL as good as it was, is going the way of all versions pre Leopard.

Niche market?

Last edited:

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
The problem is that the sandboxing requirements of the App Store necessitate XCode 4 and therefore Lion (at least that's my understanding).

I'm in the same boat, I'm not able to upgrade to Lion (very easily). I'm selling my app outside of the App Store (which I'm not keen on using because of it's restrictions and 30% cut), if the app sells well enough I will purchase a new Macbook and possibly consider the App Store for a future version. Bottom line is I don't think you can develop a pre-Lion app for the App Store without Lion/XCode 4.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Lion makes sense, but SL as good as it was, is going the way of all versions pre Leopard.

Niche market?

A niche market of millions of potential customers who can't upgrade.

----------

Bottom line is I don't think you can develop a pre-Lion app for the App Store without Lion/XCode 4.

Xcode 4.2 runs on Snow Leopard. Do you know for a fact that can't be used?

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
A niche market of millions of potential customers who can't upgrade.

----------

No, hence my use of the phrase "I don't think you can...", the use of which serves to indicate doubt.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008

App Store has 4.3:

Screenshot2012-05-30at152027.png

XCode downloads on developer.apple.com:

Screenshot2012-05-30at152316.png

I'm not going to download 1.6Gb just to test if it will work on SL.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

Niche market?

Since when was 47.5% a niche while 30.5% was something more?

Mac-OS-Lion.jpg

Source: http://insights.chitika.com/2012/up...eview-takes-06-share-of-all-mac-os-x-traffic/

Admittedly, this data is two months old, but Lion was eight months old when the data was collected. Rough estimates of their percent shares now are...

30.5*10/8 = 38.1% and snow leopard would be at 47.5-(38.1-30.5) = 39.9%...

Of course, that assumes Lion grew linearly whereas it probably didn't for four reasons:
1 - Most people buy new computers between August and December (new school year and winter holidays.) Not many people buy them in April or May. This suggests Lion grew more quickly in its earlier months.
2 - Many people buy new computers when there are new computers to be bought. The most recent new Mac released was in October of 2011. Which against suggests Lion grew more quickly in its earlier months.
3 - Many people buy new OSs when they're new. Lion is past the early adapter stage.
4 - Some people buy new OSs when they're old and can be gotten cheaply. Lion is not yet that old. Snow Leopard, however, is, and so Snow Leopard may have in fact seen some increase in marketshare while older Mac OSs saw a decrease.

My point: Lion is more niche-ish than Snow Leopard. Unless a core feature of your app requires Lion, there's no good reason to not support Snow Leopard.

Suffice it to say that I don't have a mac that can run Lion.

Then you have a few options:
1 - Buy a newer computer that can run Lion. I have two computers from 2007 running Lion perfectly. I also have older (not exactly sure what year, maybe 2005 or 2006) computers running Lion. It shouldn't cost more than $400 to get a used iMac that can run Lion, and used Mac Minis that can run it are probably cheaper still.

2 - I can't actually think of any other options you have. Refer back to #1.

Are you actually at the stage when you have a finished product ready to upload to the Mac App Store? If not, then I'd say keep working with whatever OS and Xcode version you have... you can upgrade when it's ready/necessary. Also, depending on your product, might it be a better idea to distribute it through another online store, such as Amazon or Steam? (I'm planning on distributing my next app, a game, through at least the Mac App Store and Steam, and possibly Amazon as well.)

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Uh? Did I miss something?

The concern was; Can you create an app that executes on Snow Leopard with something less than Lion/Xcode 4.3+ and is that older development combination capable of submitting the result to the store. (If I recall correctly, Snow Leopard is the oldest version os OS X that can download from the Mac app store.) (I say Xcode 4.3+ because less than 4.3 can't be run on Lion from what I hear and your capture demonstrates.)

So, can one use Snow Leopard and Xcode 4.2 to develop an app that runs on SL and use Xcode 4.2 to submit the executable to the store? I can, still, use this combination to develop and submit iOS apps to the iOS app store.

App Store has 4.3:

Screenshot2012-05-30at152027.png

XCode downloads on developer.apple.com:

Screenshot2012-05-30at152316.png

I'm not going to download 1.6Gb just to test if it will work on SL.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Uh? Did I miss something?

The concern was; Can you create an app that executes on Snow Leopard with something less than Lion/Xcode 4.3+ and is that older development combination capable of submitting the result to the store. (If I recall correctly, Snow Leopard is the oldest version os OS X that can download from the Mac app store.) (I say Xcode 4.3+ because less than 4.3 can't be run on Lion from what I hear and your capture demonstrates.)

So, can one use Snow Leopard and Xcode 4.2 to develop an app that runs on SL and use Xcode 4.2 to submit the executable to the store? I can, still, use this combination to develop and submit iOS apps to the iOS app store.

And where do we download this mythical XCode 4.2 for Snow Leopard? Every download of XCode 4.2 states it is for Lion. That's the issue - where do we get XCode 4.2 for Snow Leopard?

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
And where do we download this mythical XCode 4.2 for Snow Leopard? Every download of XCode 4.2 states it is for Lion. That's the issue - where do we get XCode 4.2 for Snow Leopard?

You login to your Apple iOS development account and download from there.
Scroll down to where it says "Xcode 4.2 for Snow Leopard" and click the blue link below that. If for some reason you don't see that then look for and click on 'View all downloads'. Narrow the Categories to 'Developer Tools' and enter 'Xcode 4.2' into the search box and hit the return key.

I do have a paid iOS developer account but I don't think that matters. Anyone know for sure? It late and I don't have time to figure that out right now.

I don't know why it isn't available via an OS X developer account. At least not on my free OS X account which hasn't been signed up for an iOS account.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
You login to your Apple iOS development account and download from there.
Scroll down to where it says "Xcode 4.2 for Snow Leopard" and click the blue link below that. If for some reason you don't see that then look for and click on 'View all downloads'. Narrow the Categories to 'Developer Tools' and enter 'Xcode 4.2' into the search box and hit the return key.

I do have a paid iOS developer account but I don't think that matters. Anyone know for sure? It late and I don't have time to figure that out right now.

I don't know why it isn't available via an OS X developer account. At least not on my free OS X account which hasn't been signed up for an iOS account.

I couldn't find a link for Snow Leopard, but I'm on a free account, that may be the difference. When I've sold enough copies of my app to afford it I'll get a paid account...

szymczyk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2006
You must be a member of one of Apple's paid developer programs to download Xcode 4 on Snow Leopard.

davidb367

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2007
Snow Leopard using Lion Tools

You can always set the Deployment OS for Snow Leopard in XCode. That still won't solve the problem of the sandboxing requirement of the App Store as of June !st.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.