Developing on iPad coming?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Italianblend, May 6, 2012.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

2. newone757 macrumors 6502

What do you mean will apple approve it? Both the game and the app used to develop it are and have been on the app store. The question is will developers begin to use it. I havent used it but I have a feeling will be limited compared to full development suites (obviously).

3. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Well I thought that apple is particular about what you can develop on. They don't allow apps to be developed on a pc, unless that has changed. If it has please let me know. I would be interested.

4. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

If I understood what I read the other day, that may be changing. Besides, there is a difference between "allowing" it and "supporting" it.

5. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I been using Codea (Codify) since it came out and it's a very good app. If you want to learn or use Lua. I highly recommend it.
    Check the forums out. It can do a lot and even got a perfect copy of PAC-Man running on it.

6. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

It is against apple's ToS to release an app that can create apps. Codify may be able to make games, but it would not be easy to get them off of it and into a sellable application state, probably almost impossible, though there is nothing wrong with it allowing users to play other users games inside the app.

7. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Cargo-bot is the name of the game and the developers boast that it's the first iPad-created game. I'm not making this up. http://www.cultofmac.com/162616/cargo-bot-is-the-worlds-first-game-to-be-made-entirely-on-an-ipad/

I'm just curious if this is a taste of things to come.

8. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

It was created on the app, but I'm sure the developers had the ability to transfer it using their own methods, such as a third party piece of software run from a Mac or PC, but the app itself cannot include the ability to transfer it natively. Had they given any type of functionality similar to a button that said "export to Dropbox" or even any way for other apps to access the raw file, it would be taken off the app store.

9. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Is there a reason Apple doesn't allow this?/is so strict about it? They would surely get more developers this way (think of how many people you know that own a iPad + PC)

Suggests maybe they are on the way to coming up with their own solution:D

10. 1458279 Suspended

I'm not sure Apple needs more devs, they have almost 3/4 million apps now... they need QUALITY not quantity.

We don't need everyone on the planet being an app developer.

11. chown33 macrumors 604

From the cultofmac article:
    ... After several months of working on the design, the developers from Two Lives Left used an unreleased Xcode template tool to get the app out of Codea and into the App Store. The Cargo-Bot music engine and score was made with Codea’s sound API on the iPad.

Once Two Lives Left releases the Codea Runtime Library source code, registered iOS developers will also be able to create apps with Codea and publish them in the App Store.​
    Underlines added for emphasis.

So the short answer is, "It's not here yet."

12. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, that excludes quite a bit of the general public.

It's from $99 to $299 a year.

I guess a few people will buy it if they have the money and true faith in their game, but that's not many.

https://developer.apple.com/support/ios/enrollment.html

13. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

But you will be able to develop it first, then decide if you want to invest the money? Or do you have to invest first and then develop?

14. chown33 macrumors 604

You should be able to determine that by looking at the Codea app on the app store.

Or by visiting the Codea website or the Codea Forums.

15. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

yeah fair point. But what about dev geniuses that can't afford a mac?

16. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What about dev geniuses that can't afford a computer?

Look. This just a standard part of the "price of admission" to this world. If one is dedicated enough, they will find a way to afford those things that are needed in order to gain entrance. Programming is not unique in this regard. This applies to a lot of interests, hobbies, etc.

17. 1458279 Suspended

Excellent point! Look at all the other business models... This has to be one of the cheapest business startups. You can be in business with less than a $2K budget. Show me any other business (except lemonade stand) you can start for less than $2K.

18. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Not only that, there are some cloud services like macinthecloud who can rent you a mac online for like 20$ a month, go mown some lawns till you have it..
    That's what Steve Jobs would tell you, that there is always a way. The rest is just making up excuses!

19. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

How are you going to get the mower to mow lawns with though? xD (I suppose you could use your client's, but that requires that they actually have one.)

20. firewood, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012

firewood macrumors 604

Misleading. The actual app in the App store was finished on a Mac.
    Why not?
    It already is.
    Sure.

But they'll still need access to a Mac somewhere to finish the app, as well as join the $99/annum Developer program. You can do this now if you are willing to rent time on a remote Mac, VNC to it, and use only over-the-air Ad Hoc deployment to your iPad for final testing (no debugger).

Yup. Apple's curated App store makes a bunch more money than other more open app distribution models for mobile devices. Why allow something that leads to them making less money?

21. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Not so long ago I would have said the same thing but I keep seeing more and more videos of Indian kids that are making apps/etc. i'm sure a mac is going to be much less of a realistic option for them.

22. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Art, you're supposed to have my back on this mang!
    Another example is walk out the dogs of other people then, HAPPY NOW?! :)

23. firewood macrumors 604

1. An iPad can cost more than a Mac Mini (especially a used one).

2. You don't need a Mac. Only access to one. Maybe in the school's library, company co-op, or as a server in the cloud of some charity. Someone or some company does need to enroll in Apple's dev program though, which requires a credit card in some countries.

24. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

So I could develop an app with that codea app, rent Mac in the cloud for $20, finish and publish the app that way?

25. 1458279 Suspended

This really depends on what you want to develop. Simple apps shouldn't require a full regular system to develop on.

However, I don't think 'development' on the iPad would include the debuging and other tools that a full systems offers.

As far as renting a mac on the cloud, you'd still need access to the cloud, and I'd question if the developemnt tools offer enough to get you where you want to be. ... I'd check into it, it wouldn't cost much to try it out for a month.

If the budget is tight, I'd start by watching free videos or reading blogs / books so that you go in knowing a few things.