Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
Hello Guys,

I was wondering, if you have experience with developing retina apps in Xcode on MBA.

I am thinking about purchasing new Macbook and Pro 15 is quite expensive so instead of that I was thinking about buying 13 inch Air and connect it to my 29 inch screen. I would certainly prefer 13 inch Air over 13 inch retina. (too thick)

The only question is the testing of retina apps on it?

Regards,
Aster007

omvs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
If you can afford to wait, it might be worth seeing if this years Air models have a retina display. I'd suspect new models around June-July given past history (July 2011, June 2012, June 2013). Intel's integrated graphics should be good enough to handle a retina display now - just a matter of price/power/weight on the panel.

Or you might be able to make a big monitor emulate retina using SwitchResX. I'm not sure your 29" would be high enough resolution - I'd want to use at least a 2560x1600, or better a 4k TV/monitor.

Note: I don't have an air to test on, but my rMBP 15" can definitely do it on a 4k TV. Unfortunately, I have the discrete GPU version (650m), so not necessarily comparable to Air

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Hello Guys,

I was wondering, if you have experience with developing retina apps in Xcode on MBA.

I am thinking about purchasing new Macbook and Pro 15 is quite expensive so instead of that I was thinking about buying 13 inch Air and connect it to my 29 inch screen. I would certainly prefer 13 inch Air over 13 inch retina. (too thick)

The only question is the testing of retina apps on it?

Regards,
Aster007

You could go with a cheap refurb if you need it NOW, also you mite try posting this in the programming forum

HTH

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
Hmmm... I'd be interested in the answer to this question. If you could post a link to the other thread when/if you end up re-posting to the Programming forum, it would be most appreciated! I'll keep an eye out for it either way.

Just ordered a MBA with the intention of using it exclusively for programming purposes (mostly web, but eventually iOS as well). Using a retina external monitor sounds like a serviceable solution, but also limiting in that you can't fully test when developing on the go. ><

robE89

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
cmon man...there is little difference between mbpr 13 and mba 13 in terms of thickness, just mba is "longer" to say so, when mbpr is more compact and in terms of price they are almost the same on refurbs.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
No programming for a retina app and a non-retina app is the same. If you use all Apple built in objects. If you use your own objects (drawing your own) or use own images, then you can just export your vector drawings to a retina.

Really, not a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.