Developing Web App - Safari, Firefox only?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by SickSided, Jul 24, 2009.

1. SickSided macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    I'm in the process of developing a web app and was wondering what this community thinks of this idea. Is it ok to only target the latest versions of Safari and Firefox? Basically due to its lack of CSS3 support (and any other IE downfall). I've been thinking lately what's the difference between making a desktop app that comes with minimum requirements and making a web app have a minimum requirement.

Or go the way of Apple with mobileme and put a disclaimer:

"* Internet Explorer 7 is not fully supported. Internet Explorer 7 has known compatibility issues with modern web standards that affect Web 2.0 applications such as MobileMe. You can use Internet Explorer 7, but you will not have access to all MobileMe features and will experience slower performance."

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's your choice really. Just realize IE still makes up 70%+ of the market share so that's a lot of people to leave in the cold. You should work more on making the site to have progressive enhancements (Alt) rather than leaving nothing for older browsers.

I don't directly support IE, but do make sure that at least the content of my web site is accessible to them, even if it doesn't look as good. Though, IE8 does render everything properly for my site now, but I don't have a ton of higher level CSS going on... yet.

3. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Yup, angelwatt basically got it right, and the op make a good decision by placing:

"* Internet Explorer 7 is not fully supported. Internet Explorer 7 has known compatibility issues with modern web standards that affect Web 2.0 applications such as MobileMe. You can use Internet Explorer 7, but you will not have access to all MobileMe features and will experience slower performance."

That will give a warning and will help people to upgrade from the lousy browser. Hopefully eventually the common public will use Firefox/Safari/Chrome more then the lamest lousiest suckiest browser on earth by the name of Internet Explorer.

4. SickSided thread starter macrumors newbie

Angelwatt- Thanks for the link to the A list apart article, really informative stuff on progressive enhancement outside the fact I'm definitely not going to worry about Netscape 4 or IE6.

I'll just do the disclaimer about the IE compatibility, and maybe a nice download tutorial for the user that doesn't know there even exists another browser out of IE.