Development of a powerful online radio - expert help please!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Arrandale, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Arrandale macrumors regular

Hi there guys,

I'm working on a free and non-profit online radio for the music of Rabindranath Tagore. Because there's just a few dozen songs in the library currently, I'm just using a stock flash mp3 player that plays files out of a folder on the server. I have 2 questions.

1. What's the best technology to use for a persistent radio widget?
    I need the music to keep playing as the user travels through the various pages. Since the text of these pages is small, the solution I have in place currently is to just have one true page, but to keep content that I want to show in different pages in different divs and then use click events on the links to selectively hide and show the respective div, to fake the illusion of separate pages. My conscience tells me this is terrible practice and it's most certainly not going to be sustainable. The alternate methods I can think of are using AJAX or PHP or frames. Can I get some input on this? How would you do this?
    2. How can I organise the library in the future?
    The library of the radio consists currently of a princely 25 songs. However, going forward esp. with the introduction of UGC we expect the song database to explode into the thousands. How would you organise the library if you had the task? How do I build a format that is modular, extensible and will integrate well into a web radio app? Keep each song in its own folder with the associated metadata as a text file? Use an SQL database? Going forward the radio will have to juggle a lot of metadata including but not limited to transcriptions of the song in multiple languages. I would like to build something as appealing and robust as grooveshark. Thanks for your help.
    Also bear in mind that I don't want to use flash because I want the app to work on apple products but I want to avoid html5 as much as possible for browsers that don't have html5 support.

Thanks again, I would be grateful to get help from the expert mac community on this.

If anyone wants to have a look, the beta of the website is here.

2. Arrandale thread starter macrumors regular

Even if you don't have advice, just some opinions, and perhaps examples of other websites you know to offer similar functionality would help.

3. Arrandale thread starter macrumors regular

Can anyone at least point me to a forum where this question stands a chance of being answered?