Development on a 15" or 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Poonaka, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Poonaka macrumors member

I'm close to purchasing a MBP but can't decide which size to get. I'll be using vs.net either in a VM or through remote desktop. I'm also hoping to take a stab at some iphone dev. Anyone use the 15" for development? Do you find there's enough vertical resolution?

Thanks

2. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I do .NET development on a 15" MBP every day. The larger high resolution screen would be nice but 1920x1280 in 17" seems cramped. I mostly do web development and have to target a lowest common denominator screen resolution of max 1280x800 so the 15" works well. When I'm at a desk I use an external monitor. If I had only my laptop display I might consider the 17" now that the price gap isn't as huge.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I used a 12-inch Powerbook for quite awhile, but then again I always hooked it up to an external screen whenever I could.

If you have access to hook up screen much of your time I'd take the 15 inch, just because it's easier to carry around.

4. Poonaka thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice guys. I have a 22" LCD that I'll be hooking it up to; sounds like the 15" would be best.