Device for recording video from iPad screen?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by IonClash, Jul 6, 2012.

1. IonClash macrumors newbie

Hi there!

I was cruising some sites the other day and came across a device that you connect to your iPad and your computer. The purpose of this device is to record video of the iPad screen. I thought I bookmarked the site, but after looking for it today, I guess I didn't.

Do any of you know what i'm referring to? If so, care to throw me a link?

Thanks in advance!

2. M.a.r.k. macrumors member

3. IonClash thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

Where in the description does it say it captures the iPad screen?

5. ImNoSuperMan, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012

ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

You'll need an Apple AV adapter to use this with iPad or iPhone. Toucharcade (macrumor's sister site) team has been using it for a few weeks and the results are pretty great. http://toucharcade.com/2012/06/19/wwdc-elgatos-game-capture-hd-is-blowing-my-mind-right-now/

More videos captured using elgato on their youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TouchArcade (look for videos "with commentaries")

6. MathRulz macrumors regular

The first of the "Frequently Asked Questions" toward the bottom of the screen on that page gives the steps for connecting the iPad.

7. SamR123 macrumors member

SamR123

I've been making some app reviews last couple of days using reflection app, it works pretty good when using another screen recorder (I use screeny) to capture the 'stream'. There is built in one but I don't like export times one my Mac mini. You can see some examples here: http://m.youtube.com/user/TabletsMagazine

8. BerGaur macrumors regular

BerGaur

That is one expensive external capture card. HDMi to USB? Yeah right. USB can't handle enough info fast enough. The best capture cards are internal capture cards. I have already been looking into this, and as far as I have found you can only play videos, and music into those with the iPad. With extensive searching, I have found two ways to do it so far:

One, AirPlay (Apple TV is not needed for AirPlay, there are very reasonably priced apps that will allow you to AirPlay to a computer). The quality is questionable though.

Two, Jail Broken App called Display Recorder. I have heard only good things about this App. Apperently, it can record at full or half resolution with any lag at all, and works perfectly for games. It was apperently designed for recording gameplay. There is an option to show finger contact to screen or not. It shows up as a white dot so you can have viewers see where you are touching on the screen. It also has the option to record through the mic or not as well.