Device Fragmentation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by luckydcxx, Aug 21, 2014.

1. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

http://9to5google.com/2014/08/21/th...distinct-android-running-devices-in-the-wild/

this is a crazy figure, there are over 19,000 distinct devices running android.

This is the reason I will never leave iOS, but with the rumors out about 4.7" and 5.5" phone, does anyone think that down the line Apple may run into a problem? I know it will never be anywhere near 19,000 devices but we now will have a 3.5", 4.0", 4.7", 5.5", 7.9", 9.7" and a mythical 12.0".

with the increase in screen resolutions this could make things even more difficult down the line. Do you think Apple should end it after these screen sizes or should they make a size for even more choices?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Think about it this way.

It's broken down in to two categories, apps made for iPad, and apps made for iPhone. There are universal apps, but also apps specific to each.

In that case, for the iPad, there's only two screen sizes. For the iPhone, there will be 3 (assuming the 3.5 inch is no longer sold, and is losing support from developers).

Not that bad. I'm assuming if Apple keeps changing, older models will be dropped off, retired, and soon most everyone will be on newer hardware.