Device limit on Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Crazy Badger, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I know these are obsolete now, but I have one from 2013 which still works perfectly well, or at least it seemed to be. Over that time the number of connected devices has continued to grow, and I now think this might be causing problems with some devices intermittently dropping off and then back onto the network.

I have less than 16 devices hard wired through 2x8 port switches into a single port on the AE, and probably other 20-25 devices connecting via WiFi. One of the hard wired devices is a FreeNAS server, which is running various VMs so is probably using another 13 or so static IP addresses, so I'm nowhere near the 255 limit for the IP range.

Any idea what the limits are for these, as I can't seem to find anything definitive online?

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "I know these are obsolete now, but I have one from 2013 which still works perfectly well, or at least it seemed to be. Over that time the number of connected devices has continued to grow"
    and
    "Any idea what the limits are for these, as I can't seem to find anything definitive online?"

Does it matter, so long as it "still works perfectly well" ?

When you run up against "the limit", you'll soon know about it...

3. Crazy Badger thread starter macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Thanks for your incredibly helpful input, but I also wrote:

" I now think this might be causing problems with some devices intermittently dropping off and then back onto the network."

This is why it matters, as I think I might be running up against it.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"I now think this might be causing problems with some devices intermittently dropping off and then back onto the network."

Perhaps, then, it's time for something newer.

I wouldn't recommend an Airport Extreme, however -- they're old technology that Apple has discontinued development of.

I'd be looking at one of the new "mesh type" systems that use two or three units, such as Netgear's Orbi, the Linksys Velop, google wifi, eero, Ubiquiti Amplifi, etc.

I have a Velop 2-unit system, it works fine. I will say upfront that my internet connection is on the slow side (8.4mbps at its best), so the old 2009 Airport Extreme that I have works about as well as the Velop. But then again, I'm not connecting more than a few devices to either of them at any one time.

5. Crazy Badger thread starter macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Thanks for more words of wisdom ;)

Actually, they did get thinking about adding another AirPort Express onto the network which I had sat doing nothing in the garage. Extending the network has resulted in a split of devices across the 2 AirPorts which so far appears to have resolved the issue.

The main problem was with Alexa and a number of TP-Link smart plugs dropping of the network and making my smart home seem pretty dumb. Since adding the Express they’ve not dropped off once in the last 12 hours, so maybe that’s the solution if you have similar random disconnects from a AirPort Exteme - add an AirPort Express :D