"Device not put away properly" message on SD card with Palm brand adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by darcicat, Sep 5, 2009.

1. darcicat macrumors newbie

I have a white macbook from December 2007ish running leopard, with ilife 09.

I just took several photos on my Nikon, plugged in the SD card to a Palm brand adapter. And I keep getting the message that says "Device not put away properly, make sure you eject your device from finder, and so forth." This happens regardless of whether I let iPhoto open and try to do its thing or if I try to open the little icon that pops up on the window. If i click okay, the drive icon disappears (so I can't eject what's not there) or the import won't occur in iPhoto and the card is not in the sidebar anymore.

I have been tooling around the internet searching for solutions.

1. I tried rebooting with the adapter and card plugged in & with it taken out.

2. I have shut down, unplugged everything, including the cord and waited at least 15 seconds before plugging in cord and powering up again (that was supposed to reset something hardware oriented).

3. I have taken the card out and locked it, unlocked, and tried all manner of that. Though I have no idea what I thought that was really going to do.

4. I have tried using both USB ports.

Presently, the adapter and card are stuck in a USB port, and the little green light on the adapter is blinking. The card is unlocked. But there is no icon on my desktop.

Oh, I am pretty sure the card is good because I got pictures off it about a month ago. I guess it could have freaked out between then and now, but it seems unlikely.

Thank you for any help regarding this perplexing problem.

Darci

2. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

didn't you ever heard of safe eject :p? you can do that by clicking this icon

[​IMG]

3. darcicat thread starter macrumors newbie

Granted, that would have prevented the problem, but at the moment it doesn't help solve the problem. The device isn't under there though - I assume that you are referring to the icon at the top of the screen on the right. I generally am very good about ejecting safely, I don't know how/when/why this card was pulled improperly. But the question remains, what do I do now?

Darci