iPad Device over-temp screen in cold environments

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cyclone Chris, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Cyclone Chris macrumors regular

Has anyone witnessed their iPads with iOS 8.x.x over heating when placed in a cold environment (10 - 25*f)? I'm assuming the device over runs the processor to warm up the device and it isn't cutting off therefore causing the device to overheat.

2. skyhawkmatthew macrumors member

skyhawkmatthew

No idea what the cause is, but my mother's 5S and brother's 5 both did this constantly while we were skiing last week. My 6 was perfectly fine, and my dad's 4S just turned itself off.

Not sure whether it's doing what you hypothesise or maybe just the OS throws up the 'too hot' message regardless of which direction the thermal limits have been exceeded. Either way it's weird!

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I think that's what's going on: the iPad is actually getting too cold, but there's no "too cold" alert.

I guess being in California, Apple didn't conceive of this. :)

4. Cyclone Chris thread starter macrumors regular

Well, this issue is not happening on iPads with iOS 7.x.x.

5. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Perhaps the error should read "Out of thermal range" or something similar.

6. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

I thought that running a processor in a cold environment would actually make it run faster (or more stable), ala "superconducting."

At any rate, it's hard to say why the message popped up. According to Apple the operating ambient temp is 32F-95F. The "nonoperating" temperature is -4F to 113F.

7. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I've had this happen at temperatures below 0°F

8. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Yes, I remember both my 4S and my 5 repeatedly shutting down at -5 to -10 °C.

One time I was trying to find my way home from a party. It was cold. It was dark. It was cold. And I had to rub my phone to life so I could use Google Maps to find the right bus home instead of dying in the snow :p