device(s)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by a-m-k, Jul 28, 2010.

1. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

What does that mean? I noticed it once, I took off what was listed because I thought it was somehow related to my mom and dads tower, I removed it, and immediately lost my internet.

Just courious, why when removing it I lost my internet. If I remember right, I logged off of my account and relogged back in and had my internet back.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Devices can be external HDDs or ODDs or even USB sticks. Maybe you use a USB modem?

Could you give more information about the device (name, size) or even a screenshot of the device? Do you see any physical devices connected to the Mac, that could be that device? And we are talking about Finder's Sidebar and the top section of Devices, aren't we?
    [​IMG]

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I can't figure out what "hpsetup" is. It's not me, obviously. I don't know if it's an additional computer, if it is where is my sister's "acer", yeah, I know old habits die hard for my family. (Except me. :) )

Thank you for your help everybody. I will someday be a true "mac geek". I am still converting over. LOL, but my dad still needs help and I am usually the only one who can help him. :)

BTW, the second location is what we use to use the internet outside. We have a Lynksys (?) router that reaches pretty far outside.

Attached Files:

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Could it be a wireless HP printer connected to the router in some way or another (wired or wireless)?

What kind of network setup do you employ? Go into as much detail as you can.

5. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

You're asking the wrong person, what exactly do you mean "network setup"? We have a wireless network that a windows based tower, a windows based, laptop, and my macbook pro share?

AFIAK, I don't have a printer attached to my MBP, that is why I am so confused about the HP setup thing. I don't know if it's "reconizing" the family's old laptop that was an HP. I don't know if the tower isn't fully set up for the router. (If it wasn't how would it still be able to connect to the internet.)

Though, I may have answered my own question sitting here thinking back about the last time the family computer had problem. However, I don't know how to check to see if there IS in fact a printer installed? How do I do that? (Look to see if there is a printer installed.) I vaguely now remember my mom or dad needing to borrow my MBP. (Sorry about all the "MBP's", it's almost like degrading it by calling it a laptop or even a computer. (Yeah, I am a MAC geek.) I just remembered this information, so this might help, and I am sorry about that. (The late information.)

Thank you again. You guys are awesome!