Device swaps after 1-year warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kevster89, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Kevster89 macrumors regular

Kevster89

If one has a problem with their iPhone (i.e. device powering itself on and off, ring/silent switch falling off, stuck pixel, etc.) and an appointment is made with an Apple Store Genius Bar, the Genius will commonly perform a "Device swap". It seems that this is done much more often than simply trying to fix the device, a clear indicator of Apple's award winning customer service.

However, I was wondering if anyone knows if Genius Bars will still perform device swaps after one's iPhone's standard 1-year warranty runs out. I am assuming they still might as long as physical/water damage is not visible, but I honestly have no idea.

AppleCare extends hardware coverage for 2 additional years, thereby guaranteeing 2 more years of being able to "Swap devices" at an Apple Store. Whether or not the Geniuses will still swap after the 1 year standard warranty is pretty much indicative of whether I will purchase AppleCare in a few months or so.

Thanks y'all.

2. CanadianMac2008 macrumors member

I'm wondering the same thing, but I'm in Canada and i don't think Apple offers AppleCare for iPhones yet. I gave my 3G to my sister and it would be nice of she could swap it if it has problems.

3. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

AppleCare only extends the warranty 1 extra year (2 years from phone purchase). But if you have AppleCare it works the same as the included 1 year warranty. If you purchased with an Amex card, you can also get an extra year from them.

4. outphase macrumors 65816

It's actually only 1 year additional for 2 years total.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

The way Apple looks at it is:

Is the device covered by warranty (either the initial 1-year, or if the initial 1-year has expired, AppleCare)?
    Is the repair covered by warranty (i.e. dropping it or getting it wet aren't covered)?
    If the answer to both of those questions are YES, then they can swap you out (or just replace your screen) for free.

If not, it will cost $199 to swap (for an out-of-warranty repair).

Also note that Apple's policy on defective pixels is somewhat subjective. Some Geniuses will swap you out if one pixel has a problem, others won't.

6. Xpublius macrumors newbie

I recently swapped out a 1st gen iPhone 18 months after purchase. The bottom of the screen was starting to go dead and wouldn't register a touch. The genius told me that there were manufacturing defects in some of the screens in that model, so they were swapping them out as a matter of course, regardless of warranty.

7. Kevster89 thread starter macrumors regular

Kevster89

Perfect. Thanks for the explanation.