Device to use the Macbook pro lying down in bed?

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Hi,

My friend has bad back and can only sit at a desk for limited amounts of time. She is looking for a device that can allow her to rest the laptop on while laying down in bed so it doesn't rest on her stomach and is angled so she can type.

Is there such a thing. The pressure is causing her stomach to hurt. I have seen laptop holders for cars and wonder if there is something similar.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Thanks everybody. These are awesome. Anyone tried the Furrino or other ones listed.

I would look for options like the last one there, it's more portable and has an "arm" that can hold the laptop over the bed so it's not physically resting on her.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Thanks everybody. These are awesome. Anyone tried the Furrino or other ones listed.
I haven't, I'm just more familiar with that type of setup with people who are confined to their bed, makes it easier that lifting the whole thing up if they need to move or get up.

boredandlonely

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Sort of related.

A while back, I saw a small accessory 'wedge'(?) that could be used to hold various Apple laptop lids fully open, so it could be used more easily when on your back in bed. It slipped over both sides/ends, but only a few inches big, at each end of hinge edges (but not at hinge).

I know this is a poor description. It was sort of like these things in size and functionality (see pic).

Screenshot 2013-08-27 at 10.17.02 PM.png

I can't find the gizmo now that I want one. Any help? Any similar but NOT a full stand/hangar/etc.?

TY

carlyinoz

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2010
My fiancé and I spend far too much time using our laptops in bed... our couch is too tiny ;) this is a super simple solution - and I'm not sure if it would be

----------

My fiancé and I spend far too much time using our laptops in bed... our couch is too tiny and they ARE called lap-tips after all ;) this is a super simple solution - and I'm not sure if it would solve the pressure problem - but we have these from ikea and LOVE them. http://m.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/art/50239075/

Because the bottom bit is basically like a beanbag it's easy to angle etc. Very comfortable and lightweight.

boredandlonely

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
My fiancé and I spend far too much time using our laptops in bed... our couch is too tiny ;) this is a super simple solution - and I'm not sure if it would be

No, that doesn't work if flat on your back. In my case the laptop would be "standing" on the bottom edge like

\
/ not _/

Looking for the wedge(?) to hold the LID open. Then only 1 handed is needed to hold up laptop. The other can type/click. On a 17" the weight drops it. I vaguely recall my 12" doing the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.