Device upgrade for new iOS and Xcode question.

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by 1458279, Jul 20, 2013.

1. 1458279 Suspended

I just found out that my test devices will not work with iOS7. So I need to buy something new, but I would prefer to get the iPad Mini w/Retina. That's not expected until maybe next year.

I don't want an iPad Retina for several reasons, I don't want the current iPad Mini, so I'm hoping the next iPad Mini will be on par with the current iPad Retina with both cameras, processor, and so on.

So, can I run the new Xcode and develop for iOS6, while I wait to purchase the iOS7 device when it comes out?

Usually Xcode supports everything behind it, and I can't see Apple dropping support of non iOS7 devices because of Xcode, just wondering if anyone actually knows for sure because I'd like to start using the new Xcode as soon as it's stable.

2. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

3. xArtx macrumors 6502a

That sounds hopeful if it's supposed to be the cheap one.
    I would like to see one with pitch that matches a retina screen though.

4. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

I actually really thought Apple would have a Mini w/Retina by now. I thought the non-retina mini was a gap-filler for the xmas season. The reviews weren't the great and the Droid offerings were cheaper, so I thought Apple would do a hurry up on the next mini...

No such luck.

I'm not completely sold on the mini as the choice, but if it had the same specs as the full sized iPad, I think it would be my choice.

5. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

Watching more of WWDC 2013, it looks like some parts of the new Xcode require the new OSX, and/or the iOS7. Has to do with the compiler and compiled blocks/modules. So I'll have to figure out what'll work and what won't.

6. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Be careful, you cannot use xcode 5 for sole io6 development (that is build an app that will run ios6 legacy mode on ios7, appearance wise). If you do this and you run the app on an iOS7 device the interface will be ios7 ready. It may/will not be the right layout/design intended because of the navigation bar changes and status bar among other things.

7. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68040

PhoneyDeveloper

Consider buying something used for a stopgap.

8. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

good info

So if you develop an app for iOS6 and below using Xcode 5, it'll work just fine. If you develop an app for iOS7 and below using Xcode 5, it'll work fine with 7 but 6 and below would be in compatibility mode and may work differently?

9. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

You cannot uses XCode 5 to develop ios6 and below only. You can only develop ios 5&6&7 or ios 7. If you develop ios 6/7 the app will maintain the appearance of ios6 for navigation bars/toolbars/tabbars etc. and it will look like ios7 when on an ios 7 device. This changes how you approach the layout of your views because of how the previous listed controls behave with content. In terms on ios 6 the content went next to the controls, where by default in ios7 the controls extend under the controls and status bar.