Devices connection to network show "No Internet Connection"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ^^ CoolMacLover, May 23, 2012.

1. ^^ CoolMacLover macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

Hey MR,

I have my iMac (Main computer) that connects to the internet through a USB modem. And from this I share it's internet connection via wifi. Thats all fine, only problem is, that my internet needs to be on for the wifi to show up and I also need my wifi on to share my itunes library (I know I don't need internet for that but it works better with internet on i've found) with my 2 ATVs and iPad etc.

Well the other day I noticed the settings for "Connect automatically when needed" tested it and it works. If its off for whatever reason (most likely dropped connection) it will turn on and work, this also solves my iTune problem because the wifi is on all the time even when the internet isnt connected. (Yay)
    I also have Redial on, Send PPP echo packets (no idea what that is) and Use verbose logging (again not a clue)

Anywayyyyy, through this method some devices don't put up the fact I have an internet connection. My W7 laptop sees the network, joins, but doesn't see the internet connection. On my iPhone it just does its little spinny wheel forever and ever when i try to connect.

Any ideas, tips, work arounds?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

A USB mode ? Why ? Modern Ethernet will be faster.

3. ^^ CoolMacLover thread starter macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

Not everyone has the choice of wired broadband. Where I live its either dial up or wireless broadband. and while thats not the fastest, its better than dial up.