Devices drop Wi-Fi after inactivity

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dj64Mk7, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

I have been experinceing an issue where my Devices (see sig) will disconnect from my Wi-Fi after a period of inactivity. What causes this? How am I supposed to keep my Devices connected?

2. Parsec macrumors member

You are probably referring to your mobile devices. I've noticed that they do tend to disconnect. They do this I think to conserve power. If you want them to stay connected all the time there is no other way than to jailbreak it and install a package that keeps the network alive. If you have cellular data connection, this should not be necessary, but it you don't the devices will still connect every now and then and receive messages/email and so on. I've noticed this behavior from observing my iPhone while abroad while a broadband wifi connection is available.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am guessing you are talking iOS devices. Back in the iPhone OS 3 days, they would stay connected if locked etc. Now, they instantly reconnect when activated (e.g. woken while locked). This conserves power! If they drop in the middle of usage you have a different issue.

Are you running an Apple router? If so, head to AirPort Utility and apply the 7.6.4 or 7.7.2 update to the router as it resolves iOS device drop outs.