Devices for 70+ year old Technophobes

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by caoimhin, Jan 7, 2016.

?

Should I try to gift my Luddite senior father with a fitness band?

1. Yes. Nothing wrong with a gentle nudge to take a stroll every now and then.

23.1%
  2. No. Forget it. Be thankful he's using the iPad.

76.9%
  1. caoimhin macrumors member

caoimhin

Good morning all.

I'm trying to get a head start on a birthday gift for my old man. No offense to the old-timers in the forums, but seniors can be tough to shop for--they've often got all of the material things they want already, and can be resistant to adopting otherwise new..."stuff".

My father has no mobile phone, doesn't want one, and has endured several failed attempts by his family to force one upon him. Including a Jitterbug. Generally no interest in computing, but he's taken well to the Xfinity X1 voice command features. However, for his 70th birthday, we got him a second generation iPad. He loves it, and uses it almost daily. It's the perfect device for him, although I can tell he is confounded by software updates.

He's got no third party apps, no real interest in them, and uses the device for precisely one thing, and one one thing only: Safari. And that's perfectly okay--it's a way for him to do the odd Google search, check a cinema showtime, read a news article, etc.

That was a long pretext to a simple question. I want my father to take advantage of some of the health-related devices to help keep him active. My mother is far more tech-savvy, is slightly younger, and loves her Fitbit--even does competitions with her colleagues. I'd like for my dad to get on board with something like that. A simple tool to help keep him as active as he can comfortably be.

Have any of you had any experience in your own lives with this sort of gifting? Any success or suggestions?

Best wishes to all for a happy new year.

2. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I was going to suggest a Fitbit for him that way he can track it on his iPad, plus your mother could be there to help if something doesn't go right or wrong. As you might know there pretty easy to work especially the entry level Fitbit.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You know what, he's survived this long without the technology and seems to have no desire to embrace it. Rather then force something on him, to which he'll not want. Find another gift that he'll truly enjoy. While I understand your desire to improve his quality of life, and keep him active, getting a gift that he'll not really appreciate or use is probably not the move you want to take - just my $.02

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

While I agree with @maflynn, sometimes you don't know what you've been missing until you have it. My mother is 81, and she loves her Fitbit. Every day she tries to break a record, and we have little contests between us.

Her brother and his wife also have Fitbits, and it is a constant argument between them as to who really got in more steps because his legs are longer, so he has fewer steps, but went farther. LOL!

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My mother is 71 and she has little desire to deal with electronics, gadgets and what not. Now she's no technophobe. She worked on computers in the 70s and 80s when woman in that sector was unheard off (unless your name was Grace Hooper). Yet as it stands, she's content with avoiding smart phones, computers and what not. I can respect that she's happy without so why force the issue :D

6. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Get him something he'd like, instead of something *you'd* like him to like.

So don't get him a fitbit unless you know he's been looking for a fitness device.

7. lrmd98 macrumors member

lrmd98

I'd show him advertisements for a fitbit or which ever fitness device you're looking at getting him. See what his opinion is of it and if he takes a liking to it, then you know it's something he'd appreciate. Or just ask him what he thinks to your mother's fitness device.
    Don't just get it if it's something he might not actually want/use.

8. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Get him the iPad Pro, teach him how to use it, that'll fill his Depends, btw,I'm a Tech Savy 67, that's me in the Avatar, in a class 5 White Water, proving we are all different.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think age has anything to do with it. As I noted my mother was and is very tech savy, at 71, yet she has little desire for hi tech gadgets.

10. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Whatever my son bought for me, it couldn't possibly have been more satisfying than his actual choice. Although I'm not what one would call an avid reader, I really enjoy increasing my knowledge when it comes to AppleMac related products.
    This is what he bought me.
    And I've been drooling over some of the fabulous photos in the Iconic book. I'll cherish that for years, in fact long after many new computers purchased today have lost their charm. And I've just started on the Jony Ives book. Truly excellent reading.

11. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

--- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2016 ---
    I am 82 and I have used either an Apple or macIntosh for 34 years I also have an iPad but use it less since I got my iPhone. I use my iTunes daily to play the music I like. I use Photo frequently for the photos I take with my iPhone and the ones scanned into my computer years ago. I do my banking online and most of my shopping the same. Young people think if you get old, you just drop out. Give us a break!

12. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Great to hear you are so alert at such a mature age, I hope I will be too on reaching a similar milestone. You must have excellent eyes too (or a good optician) as even now I don't think I'd want to squint at an iPhone screen too much when an iPad size is that much easier.