Devices for keeping up with keys

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm hoping maybe someone out there has bought products like this. I just got a new car that has a keyless ignition, which means they key fobs I was given cost more than the $250 or so keys my previous car had. My mom got hers replaced recently for about $500 and has already misplaced one again.

So I thought what would be great is a little device on the keychain that would work with an app about like Find My Friends does with people and iPhones. But I also would want it to maybe be more accurate at close range through Bluetooth or something so you could at least peg it down to a room. Maybe it would also have a speaker that would be pinged to beep.

I remember seeing ads for Tile, and it sounds like a decent product to try for $20 despite the strange, wasteful battery that can't be replaced. But I have also seen "preorder" ads for a year, meaning who the hell knows if this thing will every be real. Ah, crowdfunding.

I did a few searches online and found a few reviews. Elgato Smart Key seems to be one of the best rated devices on Amazon, except it just uses Bluetooth and has no GPS. It's about $33, which is a good price, so I'm wondering if this is he best option. Since these keys cost hundreds to replace and I'm forgetful, $75 per device might not be a horrible investment if it will allow you to track keys down like the NSA would.

So I'd love some opinions. The Elgato product sounds like at least something that would be better than nothing. My mom and I both lost our keys around our homes, so it's not like we have an instance of losing them across a wide geographic area. It just sounds like a possibility I'd like to prepare for if it doesn't cost too much more.

An aside: Carmakers, allow us to do all this stuff with our phones! If I could start and unlock my car with a smartphone, I'd probably never carry the actual keys.

2. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

There's these really innovative things called keyhooks. Each time you come home, you put your keys on the hook so that you don't lose them. Great invention.

Attached Files:

3. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Wonder when car manufacturers can integrate NFC into the ignition? Right, tap phone to steering column and place finger on Touch ID.

4. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Check Sharper Image or Brookstone or just google. There's a variety of things out there. I've not ever paid them much attention though so no specific suggestions.

I'm with the key hook idea though. Just a matter of training yourself to establish a "place" for your keys and always put them there when you come home. Not as easy for some as for others, but that's the nature of self-discipline.

Another alternative is use some sort of key fob that's big and bright enough to not get lost or forgotten. There's all sorts of stuff you can attach via a split ring; just use your imagination.

All sorts of difficulties there. Will you turn over your phone every time you have the car serviced? Or you take it to the hand car wash where they need to move it? Or if your valet park somewhere?

Plus you'd be doubly screwed if you're out and you lost your phone or it ran out of charge. Can't get into your car and drive home, can't call anyone for help.

With my car it's just proximity to the key; it stays in my pocket and I just push the start button. To me that seems simpler than messing with my phone to start the car.

6. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

Tile works OK enough, but their "community find" feature is bogus and doesn't work at all. If you lose your keys in the house, for example, you can find them easily enough, but if you lose them out of Bluetooth range, good luck.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would also get a keyhook. Sometimes simpler is better.

8. NewToMac11 macrumors member

I have the GM app on my phone for my vehicle and i can start and unlock, lock, etc my car from my phone, but yes when i get in the car and push the button again, the key must be in my pocket.

actual funny story, I started my car one day from inside the car by pushing the button, and then forgot something inside my house, so i kept car on and went back in house got what i needed, and then noticed when i got to my destination that I had left the actual key fob in my house after unlocking my door. so i was able to drive like 3-4 miles to the gym without the car registering that the key was not in my car.

9. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

Those things actually exist? Every time I dig into some ad about them, I see a thing wanting me to "pre-order."

10. pdaholic macrumors 65816

pdaholic

That's awesome until you lose your keys someplace other than at home!

I have a bluetooth key finder by Pally. Bought it off of Amazon. It's good, but two walls between me and the device, and my phone can't find it.