Devices in OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kizersoze, Oct 31, 2008.

1. kizersoze macrumors newbie

I'm new to OS X and have only had my iMac for a few days so I'm hoping my question is simple enough.

When I plug in my camera should it show up in Finder under devices? If not, is iPhoto the only way to pull images off the camera without 3rd party software?

Maybe I'm missing something but I kinda thought that any device with a filesystem that could be manipulated would be browsable via Finder.

Thanks in advance for any help!

:apple:

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Yes, it should show up in Finder. If you're plugging the camera in with a USB lead (rather than putting the memory card in a card reader), the camera will probably need to be tuned on.

3. kizersoze thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the camera turned on and is plugged in via USB.

The camera is a Canon Powershot. It shows up in the device list in iPhoto but in find it does not show up in the device list.

Suggestions?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Many PowerShots don't act like mass storage devices, so they don't show up in Finder. OS X also provides Image Capture (in your Applications folder) to import images from any supported device without starting iPhoto.

B

5. kizersoze thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Right as you were posting this I found a bunch of info via google about the Canon models and the USB Mass Storage device issue.

I'll check out Image Capture.

Thanks!
    :apple: