Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jabbo5150

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Hi all, so my dad just got a 2023 iMac running Sonoma 14.5. It has the USB-C ports, so he got a Via Labs USB hub (says Satechi on it) so he could connect devices to it, such as his reader for his SD card for his camera (He is a photographer).

The system report seems to recognize that these devices are plugged in, however, they will not mount and I cannot access the data on his SD card and therefore cannot transfer his pictures over and/or make CDs for him.

This seems to be a known issue in Sonoma. I have already gone to privacy and security and the only options I am given are for allowing apps from unknown developers (See photo)

Is he out of luck until Apple fixes this or is there something I am not doing that I can do to fix this. My computer is an old Mac Pro 1,1 running el capitan and it runs better than this!

I hope someone has the answer!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 12.25.07 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 12.25.07 PM.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 12.23.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 12.23.26 PM.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: WDKOztotl

jabbo5150

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
I see there is a thread for this and I will move this there. Can the moderators please delete this one?

WDKOztotl

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2022
Hi all, so my dad just got a 2023 iMac running Sonoma 14.5. It has the USB-C ports, so he got a Via Labs USB hub (says Satechi on it) so he could connect devices to it, such as his reader for his SD card for his camera (He is a photographer).

The system report seems to recognize that these devices are plugged in, however, they will not mount and I cannot access the data on his SD card and therefore cannot transfer his pictures over and/or make CDs for him.

This seems to be a known issue in Sonoma. I have already gone to privacy and security and the only options I am given are for allowing apps from unknown developers (See photo)

Is he out of luck until Apple fixes this or is there something I am not doing that I can do to fix this. My computer is an old Mac Pro 1,1 running el capitan and it runs better than this!

I hope someone has the answer!

WDKOztotl

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2022
Have you received a solution to your dad’s issue with the hub? I posted this on the Apple Community web site but I’m holding off on 14.5 until I know I either not encounter this problem again. FYI:
I had a similar issue with the latest Sonoma update 14.4.1. I was using “pass through power” via a USB C hub that had my HDMI, 1 x 4TB SSD, 1 x 5TB spinning disk & supplying power to a USB C Port for syncing iPads. They all failed to work once the update was applied. A support call to Apple found that “Electron paramagnetic resonance“ was the blame. The latest patch will not let you use pass through power is the output of the hub is “questioned” by the OS. I went back to using the Mag Safe power adapter and the hubs now work. I also found out that Apple support was notified ~March 27th 2024 of this restriction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.