Devices that Wirelessly Connect a Mac to a Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Aniej, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

The massive number of wireless USB hubs that have been released lately have inspired me to start looking into what options exist for wirelessly displaying y Mac on a display I set up. This is something I have long ben interested in, but now I am trying to see if it is in fact feasible. So far I have only found a few products that might achieve this, but I am really just getting started and not entirely sure what's all out there.

Here is what I have found so far, please comment and add to the list:

CynaLynx

Samsung SM940UX thi is certainly not ideal, because I would like to be able to choose any display, i.e., my HDTV, not just the samsung display, but it is a start. I think you would have to hook its usb into one of the wireless usb hubs I referred to.

There is a neat wireless dock station from Toshiba however the problem is it is windows only. If the toshiba link doesn't work, I think the model is R400, but considering the windows issue I wouldn't stress too much.

2. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

Here is a new one I just found. It is from Addlogix and appears to do what I am hoping, but for some reason, I feel like I would have heard about these items a little more, especially on here where everyone is trying to pimp out their set up.

3. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

I can't imagine it would perform very well. Even at 1024x768, sending an entire display over wireless will 1.) be very choppy, 2.) look pretty bad, or 3.) both. I think the bandwidth of a monitor cable is still a bit much for decent wireless performance.

4. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

anyone else have views on this or are we still just too turned on by apple's earnings to discuss anything else.;)

5. tristan macrumors 6502a

The volume of data required to send a rapidly updating display is huge. I guess its not inconceivable that this could be sent wirelessly - obviously HDTV is broadcast. Still, think about AppleTV, which has a two second delay or so before it starts streaming video from a wireless source, and think of that happening with every mouse click. And have you ever used VNC over ethernet? Not so hot.

I would definitely try to get a sense of the performance limitations for any of these products.

6. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

...and that's a high bandwidth wired connection. Wireless is going to be much worse.

I would say that this would become more feasible with time, but as wireless speeds increase, so do resolutions. I'm not sure if the wireless speed is increasing at a fast enough rate to overtake the increasing bandwidth requirements of video out (to a monitor).

7. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

It looks like this device just streams video (DVD, avi, wmv, mpeg, etc) to a monitor, not the actual DVI out stream. Seems sorta like an :apple:TV to me.

8. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

crapper! well I guess my wireless dreams must stand for another day, here is to plugging my MBP into an LCD tv.