Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodtrnr2003

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
I've read all the threads I can find on the Ridge and watched several videos and nothing seems to adequately address lap usage. I primarily use my iPad in my lap on the couch and I'm wondering if the Ridge holds it's position(s) well in that situation. I've seen the Speck Fitfolio (next best contender) in person and found it to be totally inadequate. The little ridge on the Fitfolio is too small to be stable and the detents it fits in aren't deep enough to give it a lot of grab so it's constantly slipping. I really like the look of the Ridge, the fact that the bezel isn't covered, and the lightweight, slim design, but would really appreciate someone chiming in on how well it works on something other than a solid, flat tabletop.

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
Here's how I use mine. It seems to work pretty well, especially if you're in a recliner:

cntUhsWf

Last edited by a moderator:

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I've read all the threads I can find on the Ridge and watched several videos and nothing seems to adequately address lap usage. I primarily use my iPad in my lap on the couch and I'm wondering if the Ridge holds it's position(s) well in that situation. I've seen the Speck Fitfolio (next best contender) in person and found it to be totally inadequate. The little ridge on the Fitfolio is too small to be stable and the detents it fits in aren't deep enough to give it a lot of grab so it's constantly slipping. I really like the look of the Ridge, the fact that the bezel isn't covered, and the lightweight, slim design, but would really appreciate someone chiming in on how well it works on something other than a solid, flat tabletop.

I can tell you that the Ridge stays in its positions very well even in lap usage. I almost never use my ipad on a table except at work sometimes so the lap position is very important. This case is much more stable than the Speck FitFolio, of which I tried 2 before giving up on that case. I am pretty sure others here who have used this case would agree.

woodtrnr2003

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Thanks for the replies. That's a clever alternative to using the stand in it's normal mode. And it's good to hear that it's a lot more stable than the Fitfolio - that's what I was hoping. Looks like I might have to make the jump and order one :)

Thanks again for the help.

jmbenesh

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
I just had the pleasure of using this case for the past week and really enjoyed it. My favorite leather case for the new iPad by a large margin. Check out the review for more info and pics.

Looks like you used a different typing angle than the one shown in DeviceWear's images, but that's not so bad; there seem to be a lot of different configurations for various angles, which is nice!

I ordered this as well as a Bridgeway (also from DeviceWear) to see which kind of case I prefer more. Any chance that you'll be doing a review on the Bridgeway?

Travmakar

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
Thank you all for your reviews.

I am eyeing the devicewear ridge and the STM Grip. I need a case protector but also to use on my lap to type. Do you have suggestions to preference and why?

Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.