Devil May Cry 4 Demo PS3 LIVE!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by fiercetiger224, Jan 24, 2008.

1. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Whoever has a JPN account, go ahead and download your demo there! I'm not sure if it's up on the US store yet, but confirm if someone else checks! :D

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

3. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks like it's already up Xbox LIVE. It'll be coming later today on the US PSN Store, whenever that is...:rolleyes:

By the way, the download is only 640 MB! It only took me 5 mins to download from the JPN Store! I thought it would be around a gig, but I was way off. The game is AWESOME! And the visuals...WOW. Definitely one of the best looking games of this generation. No screen-tearing, all at a brisk 60 fps! Controls are quick and responsive as well. I'm getting this game alongside Super Smash Bros Brawl next month!

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Saw a review of it on Gamer TV and basically they were impressed with it visually and thought it was fun... but the main criticism was that it brought absolutely nothing new to the table gameplay wise basically. You may as well have been playing any of the other games.In fact because your playing the new guy in this one, the brief sections where you play Dante are meant to be a let down because the other guy is generally better.

Also they said its still the same old story, a couple of big outdoor locations which in actual fact belie the truth that its just corridor to corridor, room to room shooting/chopping all over again.

They also criticized the bosses, saying they were particularly good or original.

They said its entertaining and enjoyable enough though and gave it a 6/10

Will be interesting to see what IGN & others award it.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well I downloaded the demo from marketplace as it still wasn't on psn. Yep its pretty much a very pretty version of all the devil may cry games before it.

Demo was choppy as in locations didn't seem to make sense and not framerate thats rock solid. I assume that its just the demo that is made up of very strange locals and areas that don't seem to gel and the final game will instead make some attempt at 'sense'.

The boss in the demo was very easy to kill too. It looks to be a very good devil may cry game but if you were not a fan before I highly doubt it will convert you.

Not sure I'd purchase but will consider it. I fear I may get bored with with it shortly into it.

6. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

That's the thing I love about downloadable demo's. I've bought too many games over the years that I'd play for an hour and get bored with. I'd stop playing them, always meaning to go back to them again, but life goes on, newer and shinier games come along, and I end up never touching that game again. With demo's I get a level or two to play and, for many games, that is all I'll ever need. DMC is definitely one of those games for me. As pretty as it is, the gameplay doesn't really grab me.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The game looks good but it seems like the same old same old but I might end up buying it anyway.

I enjoyed the demo.

Bless

8. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Exactly.. but I might not buy it in the end. Well anyway, I tried The Club. I bit weird but not as bad as I've heard. It'll probably get a 6-7 in final reviews (according to my crappy guess). Also, I bought Pixeljunk Monsters. This is an amazing game! I just finished up the easy levels. Lots of fun and I'm sure so-op will add some extra fun. I would suggest getting this (hurry! before the price rises).

9. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You know, I just tried the 360 version, and I've gotta say, it just doesn't feel right playing it on the 360! I dunno, it just feels more natural playing it on the PS3 version? Kind of an odd feeling...

But anyway, both versions look nearly identical. I see that the PS3 version is a little more contrasty, and has deeper blacks. Looks to me like those ice monsters also have more realistic looking ice on the PS3 version, but my eyes could be playing tricks on me! Other than that, both versions looks awesome! :) Does anyone know if the 360 version is coming with multiple discs?

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No single disc... (the nfo is already available on shady sites)

There is no size issue so please lets not make one. :)

11. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Let's not mince words. I am the grand destroyer. I pick up a game like Metal Gear Solid or Half Life and I beat it on the highest difficulty. I leave it a tattered mess on the floor, begging for the sweet release of death.

I've heard the Devil May Cry franchise is "**** your face" hard. I want the truth. I want to know if you have been obliterated, your hands reduced to useless claws, your brain ripped asunder and your tears pooling beneath your broken body. Tell me the game is that hard, and I will rejoice.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I want you to fight me on Smash Bros.

Please.

13. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Sure. Any particular ruleset?

I have high hopes for wi-fi in Brawl and Ike is looking like a promising character (I'll miss Marth).

I'm still looking for a game that's going to chew me up and spit me out. If I'm left crying like a little girl it will quickly change to tears of joy. I'm looking for a really challenging single player campaign more than anything... while I enjoy the cinematic experience most games bring nowadays, I want something that's thoroughly hard while being engaging.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well I bought this today for the PS3.

Surprisingly both the 360 & PS3 version were the same price, and yet in the UK the 360 is £10 cheaper. Also the collectors edition was the same price as regular so I go that, but all it seems to have here extra is a comic book and a metalic case. Wow :rolleyes:

But anyway.. Well yes the cut scenes are amazing - shame you arent playing them, but still I assume they are using the game engine and they do look spectacular.

I've only finished first couple of levels, which one is based on the demo level.

It is pretty much the same thing as the demo over and over, but hey we all know the score with Devil May Cry series by now.

I know that both the 360 version and the PS3 version are pretty much identical, though the PS3 is meant to have better loading times because it installs a fair whack to the hard drive.

However can I just say that the few extra seconds each level on the 360, probably only end up to the same amount of time it takes the PS3 version to install which was about 15 minutes or so in my case. It seemed to take forever.

Basically if you like DMC then yeah this game is for you. If you were never convinced by DMC - this game isn't going to change your opinion.

But still a solid release and nice to see capcom push both systems graphically and still come up with 60fps in both... if only some other companies could learn to do the same.

Anyone else buy it ?

15. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I bought it, it was game #24 :eek:

16. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Not to sidetrack the thread, but have you tried the new Contra 4 on the DS on the hardest level?

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Man we are really sad!! :D

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I guess i'm in that sad place as well because I bought DMC4, No More Heros, Orange box & turok(I got it free for buying DMC4 and NMH)

So now my total PS3 games have jumped from 12 to 15....yayy!!

Bless

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Update.... not worth €70 ($105)

Well this is subjective and obviously if your getting it cheaper then take that into account.

The game is too short... I played the game on normal difficulty, and to be honest it's pretty easy. Enough so that I rarely died in battle and most bosses were pretty simple affairs challenge wise.

Also biggest gripe with this game.. CONTINUITY!! Here we have a game with a massive mix of areas all with their own feel but..... they just dont work together as a whole. You feel like your skipping huge parts of the world because each zone just comes as a stark open door to area and completely different world, that just doesn't seem to carry any continuity over from other zones. Add that to the fact that each zone is quite small, and very linear and your left with a game that really fails to impress me.

Sure all the levels look pretty, but they just dont work together as a whole, and that also goes through to the story and bosses.

The bosses in this game have little to do with the zone your in. They just look wrong and unnatural (well un-supernatural ;) )

Capcom have produced a game that looks fantastic, that in screenshots make the game seem mamoth because of all these fantastical locations... but when it hits you that you can pass through an area in 15 minutes mostly then it leaves you feeling rather bitter.

Enemy throughout are samey too. You never get any sense of exploration of exploring a castle, or any other area (I'm avoiding spoilers).

The story is MEH! it barely holds itself up to anything.

But the fact that I have finished the main game in just over 7 hours (and this included time where I got lost in a level because at times there is nothing telling you where to go and you end up having to backtrack the entire level) is prety lame. That's €10 per hour... more than a lot of people are paid.

Yes I've unlocked harder modes... whoop! I do not see adding a harder difficulty and making you play the EXACT same game over as 'extending' the longevity. I know some people do this, but once I've finished a game (and if I finish a game) I will never go back to it.

Capcom could have had a really great game. Fleshed out the levels more, sorted out the pitiful level design and story.

They have spent TOO MUCH TIME on CUTSCENES, that look great but HEY!! I CANT PLAY THEM!

An average 6-7/10 at best from me. Not bad, just not that good.

OH AND CAPCOM!! A comic book and tin case does not make a game 'special' ;)

I wish I had rented the game and saved myself €65

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^LOL....well the game is exactly what I expected which isn't much but the game is beautiful and runs at a smooth constant rate.

To me Heavenly sword is better...it felt like it had more to it than DMC4. these games are not for everyone but if hack N slash is your thing then go right ahead.

MRU....No More Heros is alright, I've had the game for a day and I'm already bored with it. The finish moves are really cool and some of the action is great but boy can it get boring.

Bless

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I usually play no items on Final Destination or Hyrule Temple for 1v1's with friends, but I'm not one of the Tourney-freaks- items are always fun. Though I don't count matches with items when keeping score against friends since it's mostly randomness :)

I've been studying tourney players recently to improve my Melee game (I'm sorely out of practice but I still got it :) ).

Marth is still in the game :D

Same here :D Just play me in Smash Bros.

Actually, one of my favorite games is Kingdom Hearts- I play at a ridiculously low level. I beat Sephiroth at level 39 (he kills you in one hit at that level, and he has 15 health bars compared to the last boss that has like six). I think I had a world record for a while till some stupid Japanese guy beat him at level 35 a few months ago (not that there's a difference, since it's still one-hit-kill either way).

Get Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels. It was only released in Japan, I think you can still find it on the Virtual Console. Look for a Super Mario Bros 2 with a Japanese flag over it.

The story is that it was not released in the US because they thought it was too hard for Americans, so they ported Doki Doki Panic and swapped in Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad and called it Mario 2 in the US. It's VICIOUS, and you unlock secret worlds if you beat the game without using warp points. Which is almost safer- there are unlabeled warp pipes that take you BACKWARDS a couple of worlds. Such a terribly mean game. I love it.

Might I recommend Guitar Hero and Elite Beat Agents? Not a challenging single player campaign or story, but DANG IT GETS HARD.

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah it is DMC but at least the other three felt like they flowed naturally from location to location, area to area, and the story had some modicum of sense. This one seems really RANDOM..

In fact thats it to a tee.. DMC4 : Random Battle

Thanks for the heads up on NMH. You confirmed what I suspected may have been the case. Think I'll pass... god will some game come out that makes me want to pick up my bloody Wii already ?

24. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Go on youtube and search for "a$$hole Mario" (replace $ with s). It's some insane dude's twisted redesigned version of "Super Mario World". It looks crazy hard.

If you can somehow get your hands on that game, I think you will be set for awhile! :D