Devoted Windows User Going iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by garak0410, Jun 10, 2010.

1. garak0410 macrumors newbie

Hi!

I have decided the wait is just too long on the new Windows Phone 7's and I am going to pre-order the iPhone4 next week.

That said, I need to see how I am going to adjust to several things I really find useful in my Windows Mobile 6.5 phone.

Can I sync Outlook information on my iPhone? How easy will it be? Can I also sync Outlook Tasks and Calendar appointments as well? Will I need to use google calendar for anything? (please note...I will not be using Exchange...just my personal Outlook at home.)

How is VPN on the iPhone?

Thanks everyone!

2. garak0410 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any apps that can do this for me? Really would like to know before deciding to pre-order the phone on Monday...

3. Built macrumors 68020

I, too, am a devoted Windows user, and have had an iPhone since the summer of 2007.

It syncs beautifully with my Outlook 2007...love it...

4. garak0410 thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you use to sync Tasks and what program uses Outlook tasks in the iPhone?

5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Contacts and Outlook will sync just fine. You can even sync via Exchange server if you have the ability. If you don't and you want wireless syncing of your calendars and contacts you will need to either get MobileMe or GMail.

6. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

As far as tasks, Notes (tasks for Mac) just got the ability to sync in 4.0. Hopefully a PC user will step in and let you know if notes will sync - I don't see why not.

7. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Notes don't sync with Outlook 2010.

With regards to VPN, I'd be able to tell you, if I could get it to work :/

8. garak0410 thread starter macrumors newbie

And I just upgraded to Outlook 2010...hmmm.

It isn't a show stopper...syncing contacts and calendar is #1 and I can just do notes/tasks on phone but still nice to sync it all>

BTW - is the screen smaller on the iPhone4 compared to the other models?

9. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I don't think the screen is smaller, obviously, I can't compare it to my original iPhone, which I've had for a few years now. I use MobileMe for calendar and contacts.

10. garak0410 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK...I thought I read where the screen was going to be somewhat smaller but never saw that confirmed...

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's still officially 3.5", so the same size as before.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Notes and tasks don't sync at all (not just on OL2010). You've got to use 3rd party stuff. For tasks I'm using ToDo and syncing it with an online service that has a PC app to sync w/ Outlook. Messy, but was the best solution at the time. Haven't looked into it again recently to see if that's changed.