Devs: how does iOS 7 perform on older devices?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by driceman, Aug 12, 2013.

1. driceman macrumors 6502

driceman

My family and I have iPhone 4S's, iPhone 5's, an iPad 2, and an iPad 4. Can anyone using iOS 7 right now say how well it performs on those devices, as well as on the iPad Mini? Thanks for the help!

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68020

There are videos but it works well on iPhone 5 and 4S so far.

3. driceman thread starter macrumors 6502

driceman

Glad to hear it, thanks for the help! :)

4. Nyy8 macrumors 6502

Nyy8

4S and 5 are fine. On my iPad 2, I got some animation lag, and general sluggish of the system. By GM I hope this is fixed.

5. driceman thread starter macrumors 6502

driceman

Hope that's fixed by GM too, I was hoping to update my iPad to it. I'll keep looking into it as we get closer to launch. Thanks for the help! :)

6. jca69 macrumors newbie

It worked ok on my 4S for a while, until one day it got stuck with the spinning wheel while rebooting and had to reset it completely, back to 6. That was Beta 1 though, I haven't tried beta 5 but I'm thinking of giving it a try now.

7. SeenJeen macrumors regular

That's kind of confusing because iPad 2 is more capable than the iPhone 4S... they're nearly the same resolution, too :confused:

8. Nyy8 macrumors 6502

Nyy8

It maybe because I have now upgraded this iPad from Beta 3 to now Beta 5 all over the air, and not done a fresh install yet. Not sure, now that I am thinking about it.

9. driceman thread starter macrumors 6502

driceman

If Beta 5 seems to be running faster or is still laggy it'd be great to know :)

10. Nyy8 macrumors 6502

Nyy8

It's been getting better every beta. :D Less bugs, and I think Beta 5 is now stable enough to use as a daily driver.

11. ajay96 macrumors 6502

On my 4S it's running great. I'll be updating my iPad 2 to it tomorrow and I'll let you know.

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Fresh install perspective.. Latest beta

Ip4 - some ui transitions are slow but a respring brings it back to normal.

Ip4s - like a new phone.

5 - perfect

Ipad2 - see ip4

Ipad mini - see ip4

Ipad 3 - don't know

Ipad 4 - flawless

Obviously the above is in reference to speed and fluidity of the os. It does not cover the beta glitches that should be gone by launch nor the odd apps that will obviously be updated to solve app crashes etc.

13. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Warning: beta 5 makes notification center and control center on iPad 2 VERY bad looking, although it has same processor like iPhone 4S and there, blurs are activated. So if you want to upgrade, wait till beta 6 if Apple fixes that. (Why fix? The changelog doesn't say anything about blurs not available on iPad 2/3.)

14. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

In my experience ios 7 (beta 5) runs perfect on my iphone 4s, the animations have been toned down and old snappy feel of the OS is back :) .

Due to some apps not working properly on iOS7 i pass on updating my ipad mini so cant say anything about that.

Ps. My only gripe is the waste space with the "missed" tab on notification center :eek: