Devs nervous about Apple's new Mac App Store

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Aatos.1, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

"Developers predict 'race to the bottom' on prices, limited choice, support disasters"

source http://goo.gl/QFPPU

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If devs aren't happy, they don't have to put their products on the Mac App Store.

I've talked to several devs about this topic, and they are either fine with the terms and agreements of the App Store, or they aren't and are continuing to promote their dev. websites and have their products on Macupdate.

People need to chill.

3. reubs macrumors 68000

Well, the guy from St. Clair software has a beef with it b/c his software (Default Folder X) is a system pref pane, and it supports open meta (which Apple could break at any minute). I use DFX, and I really like it. That said, I do a bit more with my computer than most folks I know.

Those of us here on MR will continue to be able to find software that suits our needs, and folks who use the app store will do that. I can't imagine the average user having much need for something like Transmit from Panic, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't there. On the other hand, the guy who does Bean (a lightweight word processor) could easily put his stuff up there since just about everyone who sits down at a computer will do some kind of word processing/text editing at some point.

I'm not a developer at all, and I think of myself as more than a basic user. I'm really excited to see what the Mac App Store will offer, and I also hope that devs are able to continue to make their products available elsewhere, too.