Devs w/ Beta: Disable screen switching in OS 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Badandy, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Hey guys. Quick question. I was wondering in iPhone OS 3.0 if there was a way to disable the iPhone from listening to its accelerometer and switching orientation of the screen in apps like Safari. I often text/browse the net while lying down, and having it constantly switch orientations when I'm holding it sideways (while I'm sideways too!) is completely annoying.

Anybody else feel the same way or know if there is an option to do this?

2. The General macrumors 601

The most current beta doesn't have any feature like that.

3. peteryan7hao macrumors regular

peteryan7hao

same here, I'd LOVE to have something like that!

4. superxero3 macrumors regular

if you jailbreak, there is a toggle for SBSettings called "rotation inhibitor" or something that does that exact function. You can force the iPhone to think it is constantly in portrait or landscape mode regardless of its actual orientation.

I'm not sure if this works on 3.0.

5. prospereagle92 macrumors regular

Thank god i thought i was the only one that felt this way.

6. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

It seems, given Apple's multi-touch trackpad gestures, that a simple "place two fingers on the screen and rotate" (like rotating a photo in iPhoto via gesture) would be a decent way to implement this. You simply rotate the screen manually into the orientation you want and it stays there until you unlock it by reversing the twist or changing applications.

7. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68030

Installing rotation inhibitor on my 30. beta 5 causes a continuous respring...