Dexcom glucose app/using watch for monitor works pretty well!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by antnee, May 1, 2015.

1. antnee, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015

antnee macrumors regular

You have to install 2 apps because of FDA regulations but I like it. Definitely worth getting a watch for.

Attached Files:

2. Ben_Dover macrumors regular

Ben_Dover

3. macsplusmacs macrumors regular

yah, i would love to hear how the basic setup works. the process.

and how much better it is from the "normal" way.

and the cost... family might have a need for it soon.

thank you!

4. irentamac macrumors regular

irentamac

5. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

You have to embed a sensor under the skin. That sensor is then attached to a Bluetooth lte receiver that will transmit data. Measurements are not done by the watch. The watch is just for you to use as a display to monitor glucose levels.

6. antnee thread starter macrumors regular

The watch for now at least talks to the phone that talks to the reciever that has Bluetooth. Out of pocket if you don't have insurance is about 1200/ 600 reciecer 600 transmitter. You then gave to buy sensors you gave to replace every two weeks. You have to install 2 watch apps to get the buzz notifications of a high or low blood sugar. Let me know if you have other questions!

7. fanboy05 macrumors regular

I agree op!
    I find it needs to refresh before the number is accurate sometimes but overall I am happy with it . And sometimes the screen times out before the numbers update but hopefully they will fix that.
    I set it to wake to last screen I was on so it comes up instead of the watch face.

A1c on the 21st, so I am hoping to see a good drop as it is much easier to remember to check when it is right there.
    I hope in the future they will allow the app to have an option to be on all the time like I had with the pebble and NS. I don't like the auto off as I want to see what is going on !
    I am glad the FDA got this done so peope have fast access to their own data!

8. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

The watch doesn't. It's an embedded sensor that does the reading.

9. Ben_Dover macrumors regular

Ben_Dover

Embedded sensor? Like surgically embedded or like a patch? Change every 2 weeks? I'm from Canada

10. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

This is very cool. My toddler wears a Medtronic CGM, I really wish they'd get on the apple watch bandwagon - seems like such a practical next step!

So does it only show high and low trend alerts? Or does it also show the sensor readings, and if so, how often?

Thanks for sharing!

11. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

This is pretty cool and, clicking through the links, there's a video showing the insertion process. Ow?

That embedded sensor... how long does its battery last?

12. sodaftl, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015

sodaftl macrumors member

sodaftl

13. rijc99, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015

rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

http://www.dexcom.com/faq/g4-platinum-tutorial/inserting-your-sensor

Sensor lasts 2 weeks. Transmitter battery about 6 months.

Also, according to their website, this system will give you different readings than a standard glucose meter. They said to use it for watching trends and not to replace a traditional finger prick blood meter.

14. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Okay, once the sensor's battery is exhausted, how do you get the dead sensor out?

15. antnee thread starter macrumors regular

Pull the sensor out :) it keeps notifying you until your sugar is in control low or high.

16. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Do most insurances cover this? I am very interested. How big is the transmitter?

17. Buran macrumors 6502

Buran

This photo (38mm watch worn on my right wrist) shows the Dexcom receiver. This is the unit that receives the signal from the transmitter unit attached to the subdermal sensor.

The transmitter is paired to an iPhone using Bluetooth LE. The Dexcom Share app, installed on the phone, has a component (pictured here and in the original post up top) that can also display the current reading on the watch. There is a lag of about one to three seconds before the current reading appears.

[​IMG]

Some insurance may cover it. Call the member number on the back of your insurance card and talk with a rep, or ask your diabetes care provider. Dexcom CGMs are available for adults and pediatric applications.

I love having the ability to check my glucose levels at any time and have since I got a CGM in 2013. I got the Share version of the receiver when the original receiver failed recently.

18. sal23 macrumors member

sal23

so do you have the share or the follow app on the watch?

on my phone i have both so i can receive notifications (the share app doesnt send alerts)

19. Ben_Dover macrumors regular

Ben_Dover

Could someone pls take a pic of the sensor before and after it is embedded. Thanks!