Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Looks Uber Cool, but its simple physics that powering those lights takes power.

Meaning longer to charge up what ever is hooked up.

musser

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2004
Dexim Visible iPhone cable

This looks great. But, seemingly impossible to buy in the USA. I've tried.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I stopped by Best Buy and picked one of these up. My location (Plano, TX) had the black/purple and white/blue. I picked up the white and blue. The cable was $20.99 (kind of an odd price) while the Dynex (Best Buy generic) was $19.99.

The cable works just as described. The "current" flows from the power source toward the iDevice. I tried it with both my iPad and iPhone 4, both were at different levels of charge. The speed of the lights does change with charge level. The lower the battery level, the faster the chase. When plugging your device in or unplugging it, it will take the lights a few minutes to react.

In the picture the cable looked to be a round, clear casing with the lights in the middle. The cable is actually flat, similar to speaker wire. The surface of the cable is split into thirds. White (or black) on the sides with the lights in the middle. The plug ends match the wire color, white or black.

One thing to note, the cable is just slightly shorter than the Apple cable.

4715c353-39e0-ccf4.jpg

To sum it up, since its the same price as other third party cables, it seems to be a good buy. If you happen to like cool gadgets, and since you are here you probably do, it's worth picking up. It's always nice to have an extra cable around. I will most likely take this one to work so I can enjoy it all day haha.

4715c353-3a04-ce16.jpg

Last edited:

Patchwork

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
Near Preston, UK
Well I have one but after less than a day it has stopped glowing. While I may have been just unlucky to get a faulty one, it does make me wonder what the quality is like, especially as the USB lead doesn't fit properly in the charger. Time for a refund and back to the standard Apple charger. :(

eonaeon

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Down Under
Has anyone else had issues with these stopped glowing?

A friend of mine picked me a couple from Best Buy in the US on his recent trip there (a week or so ago). The one he started using has stopped glowing already, and the first one I opened, stopped working about 10 mins after using it.

My phone was not fully charged (only at about 47%), and it still seemed to be charging, just no EL light.

Some things I did observe were: I was using the iPad Power Brick (10w) as the power source, and when it stopped working the USB connector on the Dexim cable was *very* hot. After plugging it back into a regular PC USB power socket, the EL light started working again.

I do notice that my iPhone 4 does get quite hot she charging from the iPad Power Brick, so this might be an extension of this, and the Dexim cable can't handle it.

Note: I am in Australia, so I wonder if the 240v power source rather than the 110v ones you guys have in the US would make a difference as well?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
The wallwart should take care of the voltage, check the specs. But the iPad charger puts out 2.1 amps instead of the .5-1a that this cable is probably expecting. Could be related.

eonaeon

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Down Under
Yeah I wonder if it's an overheating thing actually - when the EL stops illuminating, the USB end is very hot... took about 17 mins this morning for it to stop flowing, and the iPad was only at about 70% charge. Plugged it back into the charger and it stopped again after a few mins. Plugged it into my PC, and it works fine again (though not charging much at all, as it doesn't have enough power :p)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.