Dfine opinions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Prodo123, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I started using Dfine by Nik Software to get rid of some noise that Aperture couldn't decimate. So far, LOVE IT! Just as with Silver Efex Pro, the control points offer a very flexible method of controlling the amount of noise reduced.

But sometimes I noticed that it couldn't distinguish wavy detail from noise. Like with water bubbles; it might mistake it for noise and I would end up with blurry feathered blotches, which I would have to manually fix.

What are your opinions on Dfine? Do you have any issues with it?

2. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I really don't go into great manipulation with control points, etc. I just let it do it's automatic thing and then save. On the other hand, I have not shot a lot of high ISO setting images, so I am curious to hear what others' experiences may have been in that type of photo.

3. Prodo123, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Even when I'm shooting at ISO 100, my camera tends to get this vertical striping in the shadows when I use a high shutter speed (1/1000 and less). Dfine seems to remove these fine, as well as ISO 6400 noise. Although details lost by high ISO cannot be recovered, I am able to get really usable images through it.

Attached Files:

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

On a recent trip I shot wildlife in low light at ISO 3200 and 6400. Dfine really helped clear up those shoots! Great plugin!