DFS on MacOS??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by oblomow, Jun 2, 2007.

1. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

The company I work for just changed their filer access to plain CIFS to DFS (distibuted filesystem). So now my powerbook can't connect to my share anymore. I did some search and discovered that Tiger doesn't support DFS, but perhaps Leopard will. And that there are 3rd party commercial solutions.
    Does anyone know of free solution? The filer also talks NFS, but i don't want to change my local uid to match the uid of the Unix environment and to run automount. Am I really convicted to use the Windows XP client that's on my desk?

2. MacVault macrumors 65816

Unfortunately Apple is not serious about the enterprise :mad:
    If they were, yea, maybe we would have something like DFS, Active Directory, Exchange Server, Outlook, SharePoint, SQL Server, etc.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't know if you've heard, but Leopard will include a 100% Active Directory-compatible permissions model (based on ACLs, via extended attributes). This change alone will make integrating with enterprise systems much simpler. :)

4. MacVault macrumors 65816

Good, that's one down... and a zillion to go. Yippee! Now with Leopard I can set permissions on files however I want. That's a long way from providing native OS X solutions to answer Active Directory, GPOs, etc.

5. oblomow thread starter macrumors 68020

oblomow

I can connect to the exchange server at work to read and send emails. But the lack of DFS support is really annoying since it means I will have to do all my documentation work on a pc. I can still connect fine to our unix/windows servers to do the actual work. (oh and somebody crank up that rdp client.)

6. Bakerman macrumors member

We've just released a beta version of our free DFS browser for Mac OS X, Diffiss.

7. thursbysoftware macrumors newbie

Commercial grade Mac DFS and SMB

Thursby Software offers a fully supported implementation of Microsoft DFS and Microsoft SMB for Macs.

Apple does not offer DFS. Apple's native SMB is okay for home or small business but doesn't cut it for the enterprise, especially creative workflows in design, audio and video.

Free trials are available via thursby.com

Over 50,000 clients already use it, from the Pentagon, to Madison Avenue to Hollywood.

The excellent support for Final Cut Pro and Creative Suite are particularly appreciated by end users.

Being client-based, no changes whatsoever are required to PC infrastructure making the solutions transparent and simple.