DFU Restore vs. Non-DFU Restore? Difference?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by piblondin, Sep 28, 2009.

1. piblondin macrumors member

I'm trying to increase the batter life on my 2G iPhone, which is currently getting about four hours of usage per charge. Somewhere, I read to make sure that you restore in DFU mode. I had restored without putting the phone into DFU mode and am now restoring if after putting it in DFU mode. My question is whether putting the phone in DFU before a restore should make a difference and, if yes, why? Thanks!

2. piblondin thread starter macrumors member

I guess I'm asking what's the difference between installing the same IPSW file in DFU mode vs. not in DFU mode. Can you answer that question? I understand that DFU is required the first time you install a custom IPSW file or if you want to downgrade the firmware.

Thanks!

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No difference. And what you read before about DFU mode for battery life is not exactly true, what is important is to setup as new during the restore. Also, this really only helps if you owned a previous version of the iPhone and are going to the next model (like going from a 3G to a 3GS....a restore from backup would be bad for battery life).

4. piblondin thread starter macrumors member

I'm just on a 2g iPhone, would setting it up as a new phone make a difference? What would I lose in doing so?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I get 5 hours with a 3G on EDGE or 3G. 6 hours on wifi. (all pretty much what it is rated.)

I'm not sure what your phone is rated for on EDGE, but would doubt it could get 5 hours, so you may be getting the most you can.

So, it might make things a little more snappy, but I'm not sure it would help the battery for you. Restoring as new you lose game saves, app settings, SMS, and wifi settings. This is as long as you've synced properly before, since Contacts, Music, etc. can be got back from the sync after a restore.