dGpu and Chrome..heat break on the rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lcseds, Jul 29, 2013.

1. lcseds macrumors 6502a

On my mid 2010MBPro, Chrome runs in discreet mode. gfxcardstatus will not allow a change in video mode. Integrated video is not available.. So, my 2010 MBPro cooks my legs. And I mean cooks them. I have taken it apart and reapplied some artic silver. Fans are clean.
    I am really, really, fed up with the heat off the bottom of the computer. If I by a retina, I know that Chrome will trigger the dGpu, but does it stay cool? This has become a big gripe for me since I use it mostly on my lap.

2. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

You have to set GPU to integrated before turning on chrome. If you need dedicated gpu and then wish to switch back to integrated, you have to quit out of chrome.

3. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

I use fcp it triggers the discrete gpu on my retina, it does feel warm but certainly not to the point that it will burn your legs.
    Use smc fan control to increase fan speeds so your laptop could stay somewhat cooler.

Or if you could paste a very very thin layer of insulation on the bottom case it might help(not sure if anyone has tried it)

4. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

I only have the 2013 so I can't compare to older macs. But my 2.7 512gb 16gb gets hot when using chrome (youtube 4k vids can getup 105C.) It eventually stabilizes to 98-102C. So hot that I do not like it and forces me to use Safari. I think it's somewhat cooler than yours though. Some have had luck with repasting. I havent yet.

5. bill-p macrumors 65832

Not sure if it's Chrome 28 or Mavericks DP4 or just my rMBP...

But the integrated GPU is used the entire time. Even when a 4K video is selected in Flash on Youtube.

And yeah, that's without gfxCardStatus interfering.

Running Photoshop or Final Cut Pro X do force dGPU to be on, though.

6. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Chrome doesn't use the dGPU here on a rMBP...

7. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Mavericks GPU switching is a lot less retarded than previous releases in my experience (Lion for example turned on my radeon for TWITTER. yes, twitter).

8. lcseds thread starter macrumors 6502a

This did it. I did not know I had to force iGpu outside of Chrome. We'll see how this goes

Thanks for all the replies!

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

That is basically necessary for everything. You need to close every app that shows in the dependency list that gfxCardStatus displays. Then switch to integrated only and then you can launch any app and it will stay on the iGPU and run a lot cooler.
    You must not attach an external screen because that will disable the dGPU and you have to again close each and every app (in the list) to get back to the iGPU.
    In the recent heat around here in central Europe, I have the same problem. I can only really use my 2010 without an external screen and the integrated GPU because otherwise it is like working with a piece of metal fresh out of the furnace.

10. Doward macrumors 6502a

First, Why your MacBook Pro runs so hot

Then:

Presto - no more worrying about your temperatures. I can run 1080p Flash videos on the dGPU running 65-70C, and the fans sitting at 2000 rpm.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The message from gfxCardStatus that you can't switch because of Chrome is your clue. ;)

Any time you get that message, close whatever it is complaining about and then switch.

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

My MBP runs at 55C - 65C during 1080p playback (25C ambient), difference is mine is stock. Replacing the thermal compound is one route, equally it should be looked at carefully and treated as more of a last resort. There are far more simpler paths to take first, as in this case software is the culprit, not the hardware...