dGPU failure question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andreyush, Oct 1, 2016.

1. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

Hello

I disabled the dGPU with gfxcardstatus and now I use only the iGPU. If I use only the iGpu, can the dGpu still fail? I am asking because I have a rMBP mid 2012 and I want to know if I can avoid this problem :D. I don't use dGpu anyway.

2. Jessica Lares, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016

Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You shouldn't use that unless your dGPU has actually failed or you want it for battery saving. Apps are still going to want to switch to it because a lot of technologies now are designed to use the extra graphics card for better performance/etc. You might run into issues with apps because of that.

3. andreyush thread starter macrumors 6502

andreyush

What kind of apps ? I play even games on integrated graphic card (cs:go, LOL, sc2 ), youtube works just fine. :/

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Stuff that doesn't support your integrated graphics card. Those are always going to start with the discrete graphics for at least a few seconds.

If you're not seeing problems now, then you're fine. But if you do start seeing stuff, it's going to be because you have to switch to that other card. It's going to be like a canvas in a program doesn't show up. And it could be anything, particularly apps built with web frameworks.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't believe there's been any reports of the 2012 model failing. The latest model that has systemic failure of the dGPU is the 2011 model

The dGPU is used for any external monitors, windows and booting up. Other then that, you can use that app to switch it to the iGPU

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

:) Though it is more pronounced on 2011.

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Yes, it can still fail if you don't use it. It is still going to get power when you turn on the computer, it will just stay idle.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I know the 2012 was included in the repair program, but we've not heard/seen any major large scale failures of the 2012 model.

9. JTToft macrumors 68040

- No, it's definitely rarer. But it does happen, and there have been reports on these forums.

10. andreyush thread starter macrumors 6502

andreyush

Hmm I wonder when a person wants to buy a second hand rMBP what he would choose.

rMBP mid 2012- staingate risk and gpu failure risk
    rMBP early 2013 - staingate risk and gpu failure risk
    rMBP late 2013, mid 2014 - staingate risk

Or a new mid 2015 - something is moving in your display, your dgpu will be as hot as your mixtape, still if you have bad luck you will have staingate :D

What a time to be alive.