dGPU or loose LCD cable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RMXO, Feb 4, 2014.

1. RMXO, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

RMXO macrumors 6502a

I recently bought a mid 2012 15 MBP 16gb 768gb ssd and I recently got this when booting up and opening the lid after being in sleep mode for an extended amount of time. Is this a bad dGPU or loose LCD cable? I plan to go to an Apple Store to see an Apple Genius for repair.

Bascially I see the dock going up and down quickly for an extended of time. This happens when getting out of sleep mode after an extended amount of time & when booting up the Cancel & Guest button does the same thing and there's a line on top of the duck that disappears. What do you folks think it is?

Also, should I un-encrypt my SSD before I take it back for repairs?

Attached Files:

2. guineaphinea macrumors newbie

Is there any change if you were to move the LCD?

3. RMXO, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

RMXO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good question, I'll do that when I see the issue again. Will report back when I'm able to put it to sleep for an extended time.

4. RMXO thread starter macrumors 6502a

No changes if I move the LCD or laptop around.

5. guineaphinea macrumors newbie

Sorry for the delay, I didn't get a notification for whatever reason...

Either way, it doesn't sound like a cable problem. I would take it and the pictures with you to an Apple store and have them check it out.

6. RMXO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeap, I recently took it in and waiting to hear back from the Tech to see if they are willing to replace the logic board. They wouldn't replace the LCD since there is a dent and 3 small punctured holes on the screen. Now I know why the guy was willing to sell it for cheap. Sadly, I wasn't careful enough when inspecting the laptop before handing over the cash. Next time I will be more careful and not get clamored by the top of the line specs. I've bought many used laptops before and never had this so I guess I got careless due to having good luck.

Apple quoted me $625 for a new screen but not sure if its worth it or I should order somewhere else. Still wondering how hard it would be to replace it myself with aftermarket parts.

7. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Generally it's not terribly difficult to replace a whole panel, but a whole panel costs much, much more than just an LCD. But without the proper tools, I would say just get the aftermarket parts (if it is cheap enough), and do the repair yourself. If it has been ruled to be an LCD issue, that is.

And what are the 3 punctured holes on the screen? I don't understand that part...

8. RMXO thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Apple store I left my laptop at told me my LCD had 3 punctured holes on Mon. I thought they were just nicks on the screen so I didn't think any of it. The guy that called me think its the LCD that is causing my issue and its not covered under Apple Care. I asked him if they still could replace my logic board to find out and he told me it's up to the tech that is going to work on my laptop. I turned it on Sat and haven't heard back yet since our talk on Mon. So I'm hoping they did replace the logic board. I'm actually hoping the tech is kind and replaces the LCD but I know that I'm not that lucky.

9. RMXO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple Store CS where I dropped my laptop called me earlier and gave me some wonderful news. So they replaced my LCD even though the guy that called me earlier in the week said they wouldn't and it's not covered by Apple Care. I was worried about this the most. They also told me they replaced the logic board and fixed the issue I was having. So the kicker is the logic board that they received had a defective 650m card and had to re-order a new one. So I have to wait up to 4-6 days again. Kinda sucks I have to wait longer but its worth it if everyone comes back all spiffy and new.