DHCP Issue - Can't Connect to Internet - Penryn MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gfish31, Apr 16, 2008.

1. gfish31 macrumors regular

Ok, so I bought a Penryn MBP not too long ago and haven't had a single problem with it. I've used ethernet cables and airport to connect to the internet and haven't had an issue. Until now. I moved into a new apartment 3 weeks ago and haven't been able to connect to the internet at all, ethernet or airport. In both cases it does the whole self-assigned IP address thing. My roommates Linux computer connects just fine. I've even went as far as to copy all of his TCP/IP settings and it's still not working for me. Does anybody know what it could be??? I had the ISP send somebody out here and they couldn't figure it out...then again they probably didn't do anything that I didn't do myself. Would maybe reinstalling the OS do anything for me? I can't figure this out.

2. RandiC macrumors member

Try this:
    For Mac OS X
    1. Select Apple Menu>System Preferences>Network
    2. Make sure that the Ethernet adaptor is selected and "Configure" is set to 'Using DHCP'
    3. IIn the DHCP Client ID field, type 1.
    4. Click the Apply Now button.
    Result: You just released and renewed your IP address.
    5. Remove the "1" you just typed.
    6. Click the Apply Now button.

3. gfish31 thread starter macrumors regular

Just tried that and it didn't work. Still had the self-assigned IP address.

I think it's something about the internet service in my building. I figured out somebody elses wireless password and still had a self-assigned IP address. But it still doesn't make any sense to me. My roommate's Linux computer works, and I'm assuming there's a few other people in the building with OSX, as it's a very big building. I'm completely confused.

4. RandiC macrumors member

Are you sure you have it setup for DHCP have nothing typed in those fields and try release and renew again. Also try hooking up with ethernet the first time. because the self-assigned IP address looks to me its trying to see a static ip.

5. gfish31 thread starter macrumors regular

The IP the network assigns via DHCP is in a peculiar format. It's 192.169.X.X with a 255.255.0.0 gateway. I'm running ubuntu and it gives me a normal 24.40.X.X IP with a gateway of 255.255.255.0. I've just never seen an IP like that for normal internet, only on private business networks.

6. RandiC macrumors member

Ok are you using a modem and router or just modem? If its just a modem reset it and start over.

7. gfish31 thread starter macrumors regular

It is a modem and we have already tried that. DHCP is still giving him the same IP and Subnet Mask.

8. RandiC macrumors member

If its a modem I'm wondering if your ISP is only handing out one IP address. Thats why one works one doesn't. Have you tried using the modem and a router?

9. gfish31 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I have tried it with a router.....didn't work unfortunately. I'm fairly sure they don't just give out one IP address.

10. gfish31 thread starter macrumors regular

do you think reinstalling the OS while hooked up to the ethernet would do anything for me?

11. RandiC macrumors member

Can you take it to a friends house or hotspot and see if it will connect. And yes some ISP's only hand out one ip mine does.

12. RandiC macrumors member

I wouldn't reinstall the the OS I think its an ISP deal.

13. gfish31 thread starter macrumors regular

that was my thought too, but they sent that dumbass lady out and she didnt do anything. left me a note saying it was something with my settings......but i know there isnt anything abnormal about my settings cuz i do know what im doing

14. RandiC macrumors member

I would just go elsewhere and see if it connects 1st step.

15. gfish31 thread starter macrumors regular

16. gfish31 thread starter macrumors regular

cuz i mean im using my MBP on airport right now thru my schools connection. and about 2 weeks ago i had it plugged into the schools network and it worked just fine.

17. RandiC macrumors member

If it does ISP problem!!!!!!! I really don't think its the computer. Who is your internet provider?

18. gfish31 thread starter macrumors regular

HotWire or some ****, I didn't have a choice. That's who supplies the internet in our building. But I don't get why my roommates comp works and mine doesn't.

19. RandiC macrumors member

What kind of modem?

20. gfish31 thread starter macrumors regular

im not at my room right now to look, but its the one they supplied.....off-brand i assume