Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I'm about to buy a MacBook Pro from someone through Craigslist. I would have most definitely preferred PayPal, but they offered up a solution in the form of a DHL Overseas Transaction.

My obvious question, then, is IS IT SAFE.

Here's the link to the page. It seems to be a highly secure way of dealing with payments, as the buyer only accepts payment after their satisfaction is noted to DHL, who handles the whole situation and reimburses the buyer if there are any foul-ups.

You'd think that because it's an incorporated process that is handled by a well-known company that it would be safe, even if only for PR reasons, but look at Western Union (or maybe I don't get that...)

So, experiences?

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
I'm sorry, but I've read too many bad stories here and elsewhere to not comment.

Personally, I wouldn't go this route. As I understand it, Craigslist is designed for local transactions, for people to meet face-to-face. Without seeing the listing itself I can't say, but I suggest you be VERY wary, as this could easily be a scam.

One warning bell, at least for me, is the fact that the website you linked isn't actually part of the DHL UK website. Looks like a fake cobbled up to trick unsuspecting buyers.

My 2 cents.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
But he WAS local... emphasis on was... ah, well... people in my area are idiots, so I easily believed the listing to be real.

If he has a change of heart and wants to do it through PayPal, I'll let people know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.