DI-624/Super G with Dynamic Turbo Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kashchei, May 18, 2010.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I have a D-Link DI-624 wireless router and it is currently set to channel 6, the only channel that works with Super G with Dynamic Turbo. I recently read that a quick and easy way to increase your internet speed was to change channels (routers are set to either channels 1, 6 or 11). Here's my question: would my speed increase if I changed channels and lost Super G with Dynamic Turbo, or would it be best to stay with channel 6 due to Super G with Dynamic Turbo? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, "Super G" is a somewhat proprietary system of combining two 802.11g channels to theoretically double throughput, if it works properly and the hardware on both ends support it.

Since, to my knowledge, the wireless hardware in Macs does not nor likely ever will support this, it's currently doing exactly nothing for you. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, if you're not actually GETTING any interference from other wireless networks (or, possibly, other devices, though usually they'll interfere with the whole spectrum) nearby, changing channels will also do exactly nothing.

It's easy enough to test: Do a site survey (using one of the many Mac apps available for it, or if your router has that feature built in you can use it) to see what else is around and what channels they're on. If a bunch are on channel 6, then yes, switching to another channel may help. If none are, you're probably fine as-is.