Diabetes Monitoring

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by edtorious, Jun 9, 2014.

1. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

Does anybody have a suggestion for a good diabetes monitoring system that connects to iPhone and/or iPad either wired or wireless? A good accompanying app would be nice as well. Please advise. Thanks.

2. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Here is one (I just found it and I don't have it BTW)
    ditto Bluetooth LE - Glucose Bluetooth Data System For Android and iOS
    http://amzn.com/B00I3SRJ7S

3. larrygornick macrumors member

That looks nice, but I would wait to order it, since I doesn't have any customer reviews yet. Wait till you can see if it is good.

4. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

That's the only one I found. I'm just trying to help. I don't have it and I'm not getting it. Just to let you know.

5. larrygornick macrumors member

I'm not trying to bash you or anything, just advising OP to be wary. haha I'm sure he/she's grateful :)

6. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Oops, I though you were the OP.

7. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

I've used the iBGStar meter. It plugs directly into your iPhone and the BG reading comes up on the screen in the app. Has some logging and trending features as well.

http://www.ibgstar.us/

OneTouch also makes the VerioSync meter which automatically sends your readings to the iPhone and the OneTouch Reveal app. Have not used this one but know other diabetics who are using/have used and the opinion seems to be pretty high.

http://www.onetouch.com/support/products/veriosync

8. jacobclause macrumors member

9. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

Yes, there has been talk about this technology, but it is way way off (if ever).

10. larrygornick macrumors member

I agree, but it's nice to dream. I guestimate 10 years.

11. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

Agree with you on that. The lens technology is interesting but I dream more about an Artificial Pancreas more than anything :)

Any technological advancement as it relates to diabetes monitoring and care is great. With all the stuff I'm hooked up to, I feel like the bionic man sometimes.

12. jacobclause macrumors member

They are releasing it to the public tomorrow. Just Kidding. But Soon.

13. haroldboston macrumors newbie

I seriously doubt that they will release something like this. I mean, they are still working on regular google glass.

14. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

Agree with this. My days of getting excited over something as groundbreaking as a contact lens that can read blood sugar have passed long ago. You have huge privacy issues with something like this as well.

It's good to hear that companies are continuing to innovate and make tech better for diabetics, but we will most likely never see the "wow factor" products.

15. larrygornick macrumors member

You never know... I'm inclined to believe that someday we will be able to do this. Maybe not in this decade, though.

16. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

I don't disagree, I just don't get over-excited over announcements like the contact lenses.

17. jacobclause macrumors member

I get excited whenever there is a technology breakthrough. i feel like there are going to be several more in my lifetime.

18. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

I am currently using the OneTouch Veriosync. The meter syncs via BT with the iPhone to the (free) iOS app. The sync is flawless and performs automatically (assuming BT is active on the iPhone) upon launching the app. You can sync after each test or take several tests on the meter and launch the app at a later time.

For personal stats and daily monitoring, the iOS app does the trick. However, for complex reporting needs (what a doctor would actually want to see), you have to sync to an app that runs on a PC. Currently, there is no Mac version of this app. I happen to have an older Win 8 laptop that I installed the free tracker app and the meter syncs perfectly with the laptop. I usually sync over to the PC before my visit to the endocrineologist and use the iOS app for daily trends. I spoke to OneTouch regarding the desktop app and they told me a Mac version is in the works.

Overall, I am enjoying the seamless sync that the Vario offers. Keep in mind, Carb intake, Meds, and activity are manual entries to the app, but the readings syncing over make a big difference in the day to day chore of monitoring.

I suspect more options will come to market once devs and providers get on board with Apple's Health-kit API's.

http://www.onetouch.com/veriosync