Diabetes Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vansouza, Jul 14, 2008.

1. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Does anyone know of Mac software that works with our meters; so I can finally leave windows behind me.? My meter is the Assensia Breeze2 (spelling may be off).

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I dont know about the meters
    a classmate of mine uses InsulinDiaryX for his diabetes managment.

3. vansouza thread starter macrumors 68000

vansouza

Thank you, I am going to check it out right now. Currently I have to keep Windows on a box so I can download blood data from my meter, I wish there were Mac software for that. Thank you...

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

That looks very interesting, Leareth – thanks for the link.

I remember looking for a Mac compatible bit of software years ago that would allow me to download data straight from the tester, but without luck. Although I'd have to manually enter the data I'll give this a whirl – and as a bonus it has graphs too. Ace. :D

5. eva357 macrumors newbie

Well, I am 34 years old and diagnosed with FBS of 130 three months back. I used herbal medicine and it came down to 80.I don’t have symptoms of frequent urination. But whenever I take food, immediately bowel moments start and after taking this medicine, bowel moments subside. My doctor says this is a stress diabetes or induced diabetes. I feel extremely tired sometimes. I am also losing weight. Can anybody clear me if it is type 2 diabetes or stress diabetes?

6. vansouza thread starter macrumors 68000

vansouza

Get to a dr now... and make sure it is an Edocranologist(sp) if your dr does not know any better... you have to educate your self, you can NOT trust your dr to know what is best for you... if you are loosing weight no matter what you eat... you body is eating your muscles in an effort to balance it self... in the mean time you are killing your kidneys and your brain... get help. NOW.

7. weckart macrumors 68040

No such thing as "stress diabetes". There is type 1, which requires insulin injections and type 2, which can be managed by diet and lifestyle and tablets, if needed. Stress can aggravate and even bring on diabetes. My mother had high blood pressure and was a constant worrier. It caused type 2 diabetes, which ulitmately killed her kidneys and her shortly afterwards.

Junk the herbal medicine nonsense and get yourself some professional help now! If you even have to ask whether you have "stress diabetes" then your current doctor did not do a good enough job of explaining what is wrong with your health.

8. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Hi can you tell me a little more about this diabetes software as my mother is a diabetic, it might help her?

Ta

9. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Drop the homeopathic remedies and get to a real doctor, also do research at WEBMD and other sites but do NOT take what they say as fact.

I was diagnosed as type II and with med's and diet, the numbers for the Blood sugar are where there supposed to be, I have lost weight feel allot better. Worrying about things too much can lead to panic attacks stress disorders, and heart attacks. Matter of fact it was just reported locally on the news as the latest rounds of heart attacks were from panic attacks .

Find a real doctor and get the proper care, mine happens to be a diabetic and insulin dependent. I have had everything checked and double checked that she told me

10. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Have you seen Diabetes Logbook? You can find it here. I don't believe it supports input directly from a meter, but it does support other inputs. Free. Works with Tiger and Leopard.

I haven't used it much. I was diagnosed with Type 2 about three/four years ago and I've been happy using diary software like viJournal or Journler to keep track of readings, meals, exercise, etc.

Good luck.

mt

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

I have an Accu-Check Aviva meter and they offer a software package called Accu-Check 360˚ but unfortunately it is only for Windows. I prefer the software over anything else I have seen because it came with a USB dongle that can capture the reading directly from the Aviva meter so I am currently running the software in a virtual machine. It would be nice if there was a Mac compatibility version of the software but the workflow I have now works for me. I have not seen any third party programs that capture the data directly from the meter.

12. mjt57 macrumors regular

mjt57

Just to ressurect an older thread without creating a dupe, I'm new to Macs, so it's been my life's mission to try and find a software package that will allow me to download data directly from a meter (Accu-chek Mobile and Performa) to the Mac and to sync it with iOS apps.

I'm using Diabetes LogbookX which works well in this regard, but there are no compatible iOS apps for it.

Then there's Diabetes Pilot, I think it's called. It has MacOS and iOS apps which do sync, but none of them will directly read data off of a meter. They're also paid apps with the Mac one costing about $40 Australian.

If I went back to Windows I could pick a number of programs which would do the job. But I don't really want to do that.

13. mjt57 macrumors regular

mjt57

Diabetes Pilot - Importing Data

Who's using Diabetes Pilot on the Mac?

I've emailed them asking for advice regarding importing data. So far they haven't bothered to reply to me. (so much for helping potential customers).

I'd like to know how it goes importing external data downloaded from blood glucose meters. That is, those which can be connected to a Mac and their data be copied over either via native apps dedicated to that meter or by using Finder and navigating to the connected or attached device to copy it over to the Mac's hard disk.

14. mjt57 macrumors regular

mjt57

I'm surprised that there aren't any diabetics on this forum who'd be interested in this thread.

Anyway, an update. I bought this:

http://www.accu-chek.com.au/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_303_303_-1_50943_302_302_302_Products

It connects to the Mac Mini as a removable drive and in Finder I can navigate to it, run a file called "Start.html" then view logbook data, print reports and so on.

Diabetes LogbookX can also extract and import the data from the device and again, it can print reports. Only thing is, I'd like to get an app which will allow me to sync it across both iOS and MacOS devices.

Diabetes Pilot does, but my trial version has expired. I'm reluctant to spend the dough on it only to find out that it can't import the data. So, hopefully, the DP people will either extend my trial or they can tell me if it can import the data.

15. mjt57, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014

mjt57 macrumors regular

mjt57

Diabetes Pal

Just an update for Apple diabetics who may be interested in this.

Recently the author of DiabetesX refered me to a fellow who develops the iOS and MacOS app called "Diabetes Pal".

https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pascal-freiburghaus/id736612234

I use an Accu-chek Performa glucose meter which has an IR interface. It works in conjunction with AC's SmartPix IR reader. And the author is currently developing it to interface with SmartPix and ergo, any BG meter which will connect to it, as well as the Accu-chek Mobile which has a USB connection.

As I have both (Performa, Mobile (IR and USB models)) I've been helping him test a new MacOS version of Diabetes Pal.

So far, it looks promising. I can take a number of readings then at my leisure I can then import that data into the app, which then syncs with the iOS version on my iPhone and iPad.

Given how much it costs compared to say, Glucose Buddy, I'd have to say that it's darned good value.

I hope that this post is helpful to someone out there.

16. Tibbar macrumors member

I helped someone set up their diabetes software on OS X. Some of the glucose readers like OneTouch use the Prolific PL2303 chip, and there is an OS X driver for that. However, you still need to find end-user software to pull the data.

In the end, the Java plugin for managing the data didn't work very well, so we used Windows on a virtual machine in OS X. The USB connection passed through the OS X host to the Windows guest just fine, and there was no problem uploading the data to the tracking program.

17. mjt57 macrumors regular

mjt57

Well, Tibbar (Rabbit backwards, presumably), if your friend wants a really easy-to-use system then Diabetes Pal is the answer. Provided, of course, that they use the Accu-chek testers.

But, for sync'ing across devices, Diabetes Pal works well if you don't use an Accu-chek. Just means manual input in either the MacOS or iOS versions, which then sync via iCloud.

18. mjt57 macrumors regular

mjt57

I've done more testing with a beta version of Diabetes Pal.

It now has the ability to download data from Accu-chek meters which connect to A-C's SmarPix IR reader or from meters which have a direct USB connection, such as the current A-C Mobile model.

Hopefully, a fully stable version will be released to the App Store soon.

In the meantime the apps which are available now work great when sync'ing with each other via iCloud. Data entered into my iPhone or iPad appear on all copies of the app (Macbook, Mac Mini and the iDevices).

I don't know if the author will be expanding the data importing feature to other BG meters which can be connected to a Mac. Depending on demand I s'pose.

19. mjt57 macrumors regular

mjt57

Just a final update. Diabetes Pal has an update which has been released to the market. It will import data from any Accu-chek meter which either connects to your computer via USB or which can upload its data to the SmartPix IR adapter. It also imports CSV files (but the data has to be in the correct format).

The application also syncs with an iOS version.

The user can either sync the app with his/her meter on whatever computer that it's connected to. Or readings can be manually entered into the MacOS apps or the iOS apps and they'll sync.

I tend to take readings over a few days then do a bulk import to my Mac Mini. Then I'll edit whichever readings need it to add comments, for example.

Works well.

http://appshopper.com/search/?search=diabetespal

It's excellent value for both apps (under $3 for both).

I don't know if the author is going to expand the meters that it reads. But suffice it to say, when I get blood tests done for my doctor, I usually take a reading at the same time using my Accu-chek Performa or Mobile (both USB and IR versions). And the readings are usually within 1 or 2 decimal points of the proper blood test results.