Diabetic? What you think about LifeScans new App?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by toastboy, Mar 18, 2009.

1. toastboy macrumors member

I believe truly that this app for the iPhone will change my life and the life of others suffering from diebeties, i have been Diabetic since age 11 and now at 28 it has been very difficult to control, this app will help massively on a scale you can not possibly imagine.

Carb Counting, the process of counting the amount of carbs in different types of foods is new to me, and i am currently trying to learn how and how to adjust my insulin from my food intake, this app looks to do just that! I hope it will have the option of localization, e.g. for the UK.

My only request, could you make the OneTouch Device built into the iPhone? thus reducing the amount of items people with diabetics have to carry around.

or... From Engadget’s live-blog: “A cool idea, but we’d like to see just a small dock connector that functions as the finger pricking device. Are we asking too much?”

Where ever i go i always have to carry my...

1) Blood Meter Reader pouch including pen to prick finger + extra stabbers :)
    2) x2 different types of Insulin + spare needles
    3) Log Book for results
    4) Sugar sweets or energy drink

It would be so cool if the Blood meter could be built into the iPhone, thus less to carry around, and less to forget. Yes i have many times forgotten my Meter, but have rarely forgotten my phone.

I understand this would add other cost issues to the iPhone, but if they make an exception or add it as option in build to order, i am more than sure people will buy this if it was $50 more for the extra.

My log book is another thing, i always forget to write down my results because im just too busy or just forget. Then six months later when i have to get a check up at the doctors, i spend the best part of 3 hrs writing down all my results for just a few weeks.

I am so excited to get an iPhone now just to try this, and i think that Apple moving in this direction is amazing, the Developer LifeScan, it just amazed me when i watched the Webcast.

I truly thought this would never happen or come to a Apple Product in my life time, in my dreams i thought it would be amazing, but i honestly never thought it would happen.

anybody else interested in this? your thoughts?

2. wil49 macrumors member

I think this will be the start of apps which are useful and can make a difference in peoples lives.

3. aok1975 macrumors 6502

blood meter built into the iPhone? very imaginative, but it's a phone so let's not get carried away. I have had diabetes for just under a year now and from my experience ones own discipline and will can't be overcome by any gadget.

4. toastboy thread starter macrumors member

i can relate, i was the same in my early years, but as you get older and your lifestyle changes it get difficult.
    I do get upset with myself for not controlling it better, agreed it should be your own will and drive and self motivation and you can deal with it. But after 17 years you think it would get easier, not so for myself. I'm not saying i have bad control, its just not as good as it should be.

My recent hb1c test that get the average was 5.5, but these are averages and can give you a false sense of control.

Do you have type1 or 2 just out of interest?

5. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

I'm not diabetic, but I'm very glad to see something like this come to the iPhone. :) It'll really go a long way in helping people to manage diabetes.

I'm sorry to hear that :( But from my experience, people's behavior can be improved with technology. For instance, I used an iPhone app to help me lose weight (about 8 pounds so far), by keeping track of the food I eat. :) All it takes is dedication.

6. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

@ OP
    Lifescan has/had a couple different models that made dumping test results to a data file easy. I've got an Ultra 2 that i bought the data cable for to transfer results to my computer.
    There are a few free Diabetes log apps in the app store that are pretty nice and most of them allow you to email the logs. While they don't allow transfer of the logs from the meter they do seem to have some if not most of the features that the Lifescan app is offering.

7. toastboy thread starter macrumors member

The meter i am currently using is a MediSense Optium Xceed here in the UK, and a data cable can be sent from Diabetics UK for free when registered. Only prob is its PC software to view results and when working through Vmware Fusion on my mac it very rarely works, and when it does, its basic, GUI is also poor.

I will look into the ones you mentioned, as i have still to get an iPhone.

Thing is i really like the idea of having this on your phone, can be out for a meal, and have all my data with me, and it can help work out how much insulin to take for meals, OK you have to know how much your eating, it wont do that for you.
    Unless they can add an Camera API for scanning bar codes (like on the google phone) for packaged meals, connecting via wifi to fetch carb info etc? too much?

Cheers

8. eonaeon macrumors member

Does anyone know what happened to the release of this App? This was widely discussed earlier this year, but we haven't heard a whimper since then...

I'm actually interested in other apps using similar technology (eg a heart rate monitor etc).

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It's still pretty much silent - HR monitors, external GPS dock connectors, any update on Nike+ updates,
    http://www.lifescan.com/ doesn't seem to have anything easily accessible.

Might be they're holding this back for an iPhone/iTunes update? It's pretty frustrating really - there's nout coming out, and http://developer.apple.com/ipod/ isn't exactly being too open about opening up the dock connector/BT info. There has been BT usage for iPhone to iPhone usage, but beyond that, has anyone seen anything apart from BT headsets?

10. JasonMoore macrumors newbie

what an awesome idea!

I think you should contact some developer and get the app created.
    The actual kit may not be feasible but there's a whole lot of other cool ideas for diabetic users.

11. eonaeon macrumors member

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm a little confused here..A buddy of mine here in the UK is an injecting diabetic and has been for several decades. He has an :All in one" unit which test's his blood sugar level (LCD screen gives the read out) then he uses a little pre-loaded device about the size of a large pen to inject the required insulin. The app looks interesting, and I will certainly pass it on to him, but what advantage would it give him over the kit he carries at the moment? He would have to have his iPad with him all day too in addition to the little bag he has for the kit mentioned above...Am I missing something?

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k